Author Topic: Pronunciation help: Croftindaker  (Read 336 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Pronunciation help: Croftindaker
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 January 24 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I've found Croftindacker on a map surveyed in 1870.

However the same spot is clearly marked on a map surveyed in 1926-1927 and on later maps as Croftintaggart.

See attachment and https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1537, which shows where the ruins are and even has a photograph.

I would put the stress on the first a, making it Croft-n-TAG-rt, but am willing to be corrected. It would sound very odd if any other syllable were to be stressed.

The practical difficulty is that since that second map was surveyed in 1926-1927 the croft, whatever its name, has been swallowed up in a forest plantation. So it may not be easy to find someone who remembers hearing it spoken of.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 January 24 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I've found Croftindacker on a map surveyed in 1870.

However the same spot is clearly marked on a map surveyed in 1926-1927 and on later maps as Croftintaggart.

See attachment and https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1537, which shows where the ruins are and even has a photograph.

I would put the stress on the first a, making it Croft-n-TAG-rt, but am willing to be corrected. It would sound very odd if any other syllable were to be stressed.

The practical difficulty is that since that second map was surveyed in 1926-1927 the croft, whatever its name, has been swallowed up in a forest plantation. So it may not be easy to find someone who remembers hearing it spoken of.

Thanks very much for this. I so appreciate the links and time you've put into helping me. Your pronunciation suggestion makes sense to me, especially given the most common ways the name is represented on census records where it would have been written down presumably as the enumerator heard it, which is Croftindaker or Croftindacker in every census from 1861. Whether it was a D or a T would be very difficult to tell in that sequence of letters.

Thanks again for your help.

Kathy

Fraser, Mackenzie, McLean, Macrae and others of Shieldaig and Moray

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 January 24 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I’ve also been puzzling over the evidence with Croftintaggart shown on maps yet ‘Croftindaker’ on the 1861 Census, extract attached, and presumably other sources.

I was having similar thoughts to Forfarian on whether Croftindaker could be derived from Croftintaggart  or vice versa.

Wondering if a Gaelic speaker could comment on whether it is feasible both names written in English could be from the same Gaelic root?

Agree with Forfarian that it may be extremely difficult to find someone locally who remembers hearing the name as the Croft is now ruinous, and in woodland but will still run it past my son.

Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 January 24 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I’ve also been puzzling over the evidence with Croftintaggart shown on maps yet ‘Croftindaker’ on the 1861 Census, extract attached, and presumably other sources.

Yes, the statutory records I have for people who lived at that croft also typically say Croftindacker or Croftindaker.

I think the Croftintaggart/daker difference is simply one of lack of spelling consistency. To my ear they sound quite similar when said aloud. But like you, I do wonder about the origin of the name.
Fraser, Mackenzie, McLean, Macrae and others of Shieldaig and Moray