Author Topic: How many matches do I have?  (Read 393 times)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How many matches do I have?
« on: Friday 19 January 24 06:58 GMT (UK) »
This might be a really silly question, but is there an easy way to see how many DNA matches I have at any given time, on Ancestry?

Thank you  :)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Found it!! Re: How many matches do I have?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 24 07:08 GMT (UK) »
I knew as soon as I posted the question I would work out where to find it...

In the 'DNA Origins' section, it's listed there.

Resume normal programming ;)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found it!! Re: How many matches do I have?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 24 07:11 GMT (UK) »
I knew as soon as I posted the question I would work out where to find it...

In the 'DNA Origins' section, it's listed there.

Resume normal programming ;)

If I resume my normal programming we are really in trouble!  ::)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Found it!! Re: How many matches do I have?
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 24 07:23 GMT (UK) »
If I resume my normal programming we are really in trouble!  ::)

:D :D :D Well we wouldn't want that!

Just thought I'd reply to myself with the answer, in case anyone else came along with a similar question, to save them from feeling as silly as I currently do  ;)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How many matches do I have?
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 24 12:11 GMT (UK) »
The number doesn't mean that they will all necessarily be correct or genuine though. Many at the lowest cM lengths have a roughly 50/50 likelihood of being false, i.e. identical by chance or other reasons.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 24 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Do we assume that you have only recently taken a DNA test and now have the results?

If yes, then now the frustration begins for you.

7 years after our DNA tests we are still learning and still wondering how on earth are we actually related to Andrew Adamson (not his real name) who shares 91 cM with me, he has no tree and does not respond to messages.  Via shared matches I know which County his MRCA with me is likely to be have lived but as there are over 140 birth results for an “Andrew Adamson” narrowing it down is a major task.

Good luck.

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 24 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil & Biggles,

I did my test a couple years ago and have had results for a while now - I hear you about the frustration with no trees and no responses! - but I was just trying to find where on my Ancestry account it stated the total number of matches. (So far it’s 21070, now that I know where to look).

And yes, the most distant “relatives” may not be related at all, so unless they have something really relevant or are interested in researching a similar area or the like, and are responsive, I don’t usually bother.

I learnt that that through experience  with ThruLines, which suggested a distant match was from a certain CA. I contacted the match to find out more about that ancestor and, to my delight, they responded and let me look at their tree but didn’t know the name I was talking about. Turns out they didn’t have any of my ancestors in their tree, nor I theirs, but some had come from the same área. So we surmised that we just have matching genes from the general gene pool of that area…

I was using the total number of matches as part of my explanation to someone (who’s curious about  taking a test but doesn’t have any information about that part of their family) of that very thing - how we have soooo many matches, but only a few people ever respond, and that unless you and your matches have extensive trees, you may never know how you’re connected.

Therefore how important it is to do as much research as you’re able, and how the DNA test by itself may not answer your questions, but may be able to point you in the right direction, or give you clues.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 24 23:49 GMT (UK) »
It is a query that presently there is no answer to.

You have the total number of matches and the number of 4th Cousins or closer, & distant matches. 

Tap the Shared DNA tab and the number of distant matches are shown.

It would be good if when entering a DNA range or applying a Filter if Ancestry presented the numbers.

You could always Request The Feature from them.

BTW
Out of 106 DNA matches in my tree over 40 of them have less than 10cM shared with me so the low cM can be found via Thruline or just sheer luck.