Author Topic: Finding insolvency, marriage and passenger list for stowaway great-grandfather  (Read 503 times)

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone.

My great-grandfather, Septimus Thompson, was a butcher in South Shields. He was born on 25 September 1859 in Westoe, South Shields, and he opened his own butcher's shop at 40 Dale Street, South Shields in 1883. In January, 1886, he stowed away on the Lavinia from Mauritius to Albany, Western Australia, where he was arrested but subsequently released as he'd been allowed by the captain of the ship to work his passage. He next turned up in Melbourne, marrying Rosa Grimsley in 1889. Evidence suggests that he abandoned Rosa and their daughter by 1890. He died in Melbourne on 21 June 1897.

It seems probable that Septimus might have had to leave England in a hurry, and possibly without sufficient money to buy a passage all the way to Australia. I'm interested in trying to find out why.
Had he been declared insolvent?
Had he married and abandoned a wife in South Shields?
Had he been running away from court charges?
His father (William) had died in 1871 and his mother (Margaret) had died in 1884. Was there an issue with his mother's will or her estate?
Are there any passenger lists that record his presence on a ship that left England at that time?
Where did he go after he landed in Western Australia and what did he do until 1889?

If anyone can direct me to sites that might help to answer these questions I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
            Peter

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding insolvency, marriage and passenger list for stowaway great-grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 24 10:13 GMT (UK) »
A search for Septimus Thompson at British Newspaper Archive finds a surprising number of men called Septimus Thompson but the only hit that seems to relate to your Septimus is an announcement from 8th April 1881 in the Shields Daily Gazette concerning his opening a butcher's shop at 40 Dale Street.

If there was an insolvency I would expect to have found it.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Finding insolvency, marriage and passenger list for stowaway great-grandfather
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 24 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan.

Thanks for your quick reply. I've tried to find insolvency records for South Shields for that period of time but have been unable to find a site that has them. Is there one that you can recommend?

Thanks,
            Peter

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 24 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan.

Thanks for your quick reply. I've tried to find insolvency records for South Shields for that period of time but have been unable to find a site that has them. Is there one that you can recommend?

Thanks,
            Peter

No, I’m afraid I don’t.  Incidentally I just glanced over your original post and noticed that you have the shop in Dale Street opening in 1881 whereas the announcement that I found was 1883. I suppose it’s possible that there was sort of relaunch in 1883.

Added: I got the dates backwards. Yours 1883, mine 1881.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 24 10:56 GMT (UK) »
1883 is the correct year as it was announced in a newspaper in March of that year. Thanks for the pick-up.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 24 13:04 GMT (UK) »
1889 marriage has Rosa Maria Grimsley as his wife - married in Harrietville , Victoria ,Australia
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 24 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Garstonite. That's correct. One child by the marriage; a girl born later in 1889. Septimus died of tuberculosis on 1897 in Melbourne. Rosa remarried in 1902.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 24 14:58 GMT (UK) »
 Sheilds Daily Gazette 12 July 1886
40 Dale Street is for auction along with other properties.
It's described as a Tenement building.

Not much help really.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 24 15:22 GMT (UK) »
1881 census has Septimus Thompson b Westoe , aged 21 a butcher at 149 Dale Street with his mother Margaret.
He is unmarried
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)