Author Topic: Post 1920 military records now at the National Archives  (Read 178 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Post 1920 military records now at the National Archives
« on: Friday 19 January 24 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Before they were transferred from the MOD, I understand that if someone requested (and paid) for, say, their grandfather's records, someone would physically go through filing cabinets (or similar) to find the relevant file and get it copied so that a reply could be sent to the person who requested the information. 

I know that all the files have now been transferred to the National Archives where they are being catalogued and scanned - and that it's an enormous task that will take years (probably) - but does anyone know exactly how they're working through them?  For example, if they haven't catalogued/scanned grandad's records when someone applies, do they simply reply that they've got no record, or do they check both the scanned and unscanned records before replying?  If you see what I mean  ;D

Thanks for any info you can offer.
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Post 1920 military records now at the National Archives
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 24 16:32 GMT (UK) »
My understanding of the situation is those records which have been processed and catalogued can be found using the TNA Discovery, but they have not been digitized so you need to view them in person or order a copy to be made.  Here is a typical example of one of these newly catalogued entries: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C17626939. Note that it takes them 4 days to prepare the file for viewing, which I suspect indicates that someone has to go through the file to ensure that there is no sensitive information which needs to be redacted.

For the files which have yet to be catalogued, I suspect the process is even more tortuous because most of these files are likely to be still in the crates in which they were shipped to TNA.  See below for details of what service TNA are offering for these unindexed files. On top of the physical issue of finding the files, TNA's policy of not releasing material where in the subject was born less than 115 years ago means that a large proportion of the transferred files won't be released anyway.   

Here's what TNA's Research Guide on the subject says:
As they have only very recently been transferred, many of the above records are currently unfindable in our catalogue. If you believe that a service record you are looking for is contained within one of the above collections, and you have been unable to find the record in our catalogue in the series listed, you can make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request for access to this information using one of the forms [available on TNA wbsite] (charges may apply)

I suggest you read the Research Guide in full as it provides a breakdown of the various categories (eg Infantry soldiers serving between 1921 and 1939, and Infantry serving from 1939 up to 1963 (the end of National Service)).