Author Topic: FindMyPast Subscription Renewal  (Read 4031 times)

Offline theirchild

• RootsChat Extra
  • "A little thanks goes a long way."
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast Subscription Renewal
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for passing on your information. I contacted FindMyPast & mentioned they had offered other subscribers 40% off & that I felt the 15% & then 25% off they had offered was unfair as I had been with FindMyPast for over 10 years. I got an email straight back offering 40% off & would I like to upgrade to Premium, so at that price I did ;D

Bingo! Well done, Ellenmai...great result...all's well that ends well.  :)

theirchild

ADDED: Apologies...I obviously didn't use the 'Quote' facility correctly...the above quote is from Ellenmai at 14:31. (The second set of inverted commas/quote marks are missing too!)
Rootschat is free. Saying "thanks" also costs nothing.

"Gratitude is the sign of a noble soul."
- Aesop

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom."
- Henry Ward Beecher
--------------------------
NAME INTERESTS

ANDERSON: Shoreditch, Bethnal Grn & Glasgow
AVIS: Mayfield & Rotherfield
BASSETT: Mayfield, Rotherfield, Wadhurst, Ticehurst, Tunbridge Wells & nearby
MANN: Stepney & Shoreditch
MILLS: Shoreditch
RUSSELL: Mayfield & Burwash
SCHOLTZ: Islington & Kentish Town
WITT: Christchurch & nearby (Hants)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 February 24 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your Good Wshes Rosie & theirchild  ;D

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like they are finally coming to the realisation that it's better to have some of our money than none of our money  ;D
Common sense should tell them that there comes a point where you can't make as much progress as before, and then it's hard to justify an annual sub. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like they are finally coming to the realisation that it's better to have some of our money than none of our money  ;D
Common sense should tell them that there comes a point where you can't make as much progress as before, and then it's hard to justify an annual sub.

Yes it's definitely the law of diminishing returns for me:

Ancestry:
- Very few new collections being added that are relevant to me;
- Updated collections are basically useless and are rarely (if ever) major updates (I don't think I've ever found anything in an updated collection that was missing before),
- Hardly any new high-cM DNA matches in the last year and most new matches have either unlinked trees, no trees at all or trees with only 1-3 persons and the owners probably received their DNA test as a Xmas present are are not in the least interested in Genealogy. Hardly any Common Ancestor links in the past year on any of the three trees I manage.

FindMyPast:
-Again very few new collections of interest to me;
- The 1921 census being included at Premium level was key for me.

MyHeritage:
-Very few collections of interest to me have actual documents available to view and I have no interest in transcriptions;
-The DNA tools were of some interest to me initially, especially AutoCluster, but most matches have proven difficult to tie down to actual family members.

My conclusions:

Ancestry: When my (50% discounted) 12-month Worldwide membership expired at the end of December I decided to take a year out, but did sign up for the 4-month premium membership for £20 offer (and immediately cancelled it to avoid an accidental autorenew). When that expires at the end of June I'll give it a rest for (at least) the rest of the year.

FindMyPast: I took up the 3-month Premium membership for £44.99 offer primarily to blitz the 1921 census, which I've done. I've found a few other useful bits and piieces, but not enough for a longer subscription. Cancelled immediately and won't renew in March when it expires.

MyHeritage: I signed up for a Complete Plan for one year after getting an offer for a 67% discount. In my opinion it's certainly not worth the full whack though. Cancelled and won't renew when it expires in June.

So by the middle of the year I'll be without any memberships for the first time since at least 2008.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 21:09 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast were not interested when I said to them that £100 for premium for a year was better than nothing, they were not interested.  So I just took out the limited deal and blitzed the 1921 census, newspapers and add hoc records, then I had no further need for FindMyPast

Ancestry for £89.99 for a years worldwide is on borrowed time, its only high cM matches that keep us there.

One gets to the stage of diminishing returns with all Subscription sites.

I’m not really interested in spending hours researching a 10cM or less DNA match, I see very little value in that.

As my research will go to all my first Cousins in some ways going back to 1800 or as far as I could approaching said date will give each of them a pretty good starting point if their offsprings become interested.

So it becomes time to consolidate and write those stories, make the videos, catalogue all the images.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 February 24 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I bit the bullet and got FindMyPast for the Newspapers and 1921.

I've found the interface/search for Newspapers not as fruitful as BNA. I'm really not sure why.

It's getting proper expensive now as I have Ancestry worldwide as well.

Does anyone know if you lapse Ancestry what access do you have for your tree?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 31 March 24 20:07 BST (UK) »
I took the 3 month Black Friday offer at 40% off.
When that expired they offered me another go at 20% off. I didn't respond.

Now they are offering me 30% off (for 3 or 12 months) but offer expires at midnight tonight. Email only came today.

What do you think are the chances of another 40% offer if I ignore this one?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 31 March 24 20:23 BST (UK) »
I took the 3 month Black Friday offer at 40% off.
When that expired they offered me another go at 20% off. I didn't respond.

Now they are offering me 30% off (for 3 or 12 months) but offer expires at midnight tonight. Email only came today.

What do you think are the chances of another 40% offer if I ignore this one?

Have a read here  :) :)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=881509.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada