Author Topic: Daniel Lofting born c1748...baptism record or parents?  (Read 157 times)

Offline PhilLofting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Lofting born c1748...baptism record or parents?
« on: Friday 19 January 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been researching my Lofting family tree for many years and now I have finally gotten around to looking for help for my toughest brick wall!

I know Daniel married Mary Newman on 21st Feb 1775 in Fareham, Hampshire and they had many children (which I have recorded).

William Ball and James Isaac were witnesses at his wedding.

William Ball married Sarah Newman on 2nd Nov 1768 in Fareham.  Sarah could have been Mary's sister.

Daniel was buried in Fareham on 2nd June 1804, aged 56.

However, I can find no record of a baptism for Daniel, or, well, anything before his marriage.

If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful!!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Lofting born c1748...baptism record or parents?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 24 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welome to Rootschat! :)

There are several trees on MYHeritage for Daniel Lofting, none of which have found his birth, but many of which give his place of birth as Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
As you have not been able to find him also, it looks very possible he did come from Hampshire.
(I've found brick walls are often the case of people moving from different counties, or even different countries!).

Several trees on MYHeritage have the father of Daniel Lofting as another Daniel, died 1758.
He was a gentleman of Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
There is a will for this Daniel senior in the PCC wills on The National Archives Discovery site - free to download at the moment.
However, having read through it, there is no wife mentioned, or children.
There are several brothers mentioned though - William, Benjamin and Samuel.
He leaves much of his property and estate to a Ralph Rose of Great Marlow.

Another tree has the father of Daniel as John Lofting. (Tree 'Hicks Family').
There is also a will for this John on the National Archives dated 1742.
Reading through it quickly, he has sons John, Benjamin, William, Daniel, Francis, Samuel and Thomas who is under 21.
It would seem to me this John then is the father of the people mentioned in the will of Daniel in 1758 - ie John's sons.
Also mentioned in this will of John's is Thomas Carter, doctor of Divinity, who is 'uncle' and guardian to Thomas.

This John was married twice.
Secondly to a Mary Carter 15 Dec 1710 at St Mary Magdelene's, Old Fish street, London.
And firstly to Hester Basse, 3 May 1689, St Nicholas Cole Abbey, London.
His date of death is given as June 15th 1742, which would tie in with the will at TNA above.

This John is given as having several siblings - including a Captain Samuel Lofting, 1696 - 1779, for which I remember seeing several documents on the National Archive Discovery search.

This John, the father, was supposedly born about 1659 in Holland, father Herman Loftingh, born about 1625, and mother Johanna.
Also several siblings on this tree for John.

You would need to a lot of searching for more evidence for all this of course.
You could search the Buckinghamshire Record Office Catalogue - there may be more wills that will give information, or other documents.
Not all wills would be done through the PCC and therefore on TNA site. Some may have been done locally.
I note there is a will for a Benjamin Lofting 1759 on TNA, which I've not looked at, and some deeds etc for John Lofting both at TNA and at The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies in Aylesbury.

Happy hunting!

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline PhilLofting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Lofting born c1748...baptism record or parents?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 24 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello :)

Thank you for the time you have spent helping me find out about Daniel Lofting, hugely appreciated, and making me feel welcome.

Over the years I have come across most of what you have found, i.e. the wills, etc. but nowhere ever mentions 'my' Daniel...here are a few interesting pointers, not sure if they help...
  • In the 1740s there were only 50-odd Loftings (or Loftins) in the UK (no relation to US Loftins).  John Lofting (1659 - 1742) emigrated from Holland in 1688 and started the UK family.  His name was anglicised from Jan Berent Loftinck.

• John's son Samuel (1696 - 1779) was a Captain in the Royal Navy in the 1740s.  He had several wives and had children (much) later in life.  I have read that naval Captains often lived in Fareham as it was very well-to-do and close to Portsmouth.  My best guess is that Daniel is Samuel's son.

• From what I have seen, Daniel was not a common name in the 1740s so 'my' Daniel 'could' have been Samuel's son or Samuel's brother Daniel's son as it is a family name.  Little is known about Daniel senior other than he was a publican in Great Marlow, Bucks and never married.  My Daniel was a currier.

• Maybe my Daniel was base-born?  Could be why I cannot find a baptism record?  I do not know what percentage of people were not baptised at that time.
Thanks again,

Phil.