Author Topic: A child recorded in The Lincolnshire Chronicle, 1862 - but nowhere else?  (Read 849 times)

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A child recorded in The Lincolnshire Chronicle, 1862 - but nowhere else?
« on: Saturday 20 January 24 10:57 GMT (UK) »

Thank you very much to RootsChat’s experts for previous help in researching my book, ‘Village’, based in Willoughton, Lincolnshire. I wonder if you can help me find records for an elusive Willoughton child?
On 12 September 1862, The Lincolnshire Chronicle included this in the section of births reserved for the wealthy: ‘On the 31st ult, at Willoughton, the wife of John Wm Richardson, of a daughter.’ Presumably the birth was on 31 August 1862?
John William Richardson was a large-scale farmer. There are records of a previous child born to him and his wife Harriet[t]. Their son, also John William Richardson, was registered in the national Civil Registration Birth Index in 1855. Willoughton Parish registers include his baptism on 21 July 1855. The Death Certificate shows that, sadly, the baby died the same day, of convulsions at 4 days old. His father registered the death a month later, bringing a doctor’s certificate.
But I can find no official record of the Richardsons’ 1862 daughter. I cannot find a national birth record (via Ancestry, Findmypast or FamilySearch) for a female Richardson July – Sept 1862 in the Gainsborough area (which includes Willoughton).
I cannot find Parish birth registers for Willoughton after the end of 1858. I have not found a possible death record. Her father John William Richardson died in 1869, her mother Harriet[t] died on 6 March 1873. Neither mentions a child in their Will. Willoughton Parish Burial Registers are available between January 1862 and March 1873. I can find no record of a child called Richardson.
I’d be most grateful for any records you can trace, or thoughts about this poor elusive child, please!

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: A child recorded in The Lincolnshire Chronicle, 1862 - but nowhere else?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 24 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Found 2 deaths in Gainsborough:
Rebecca July Q 1862 aged 0 (mmn Peart) so if we're looking for mmn Bennett not her.
Susan 1869 aged 7. (mmn possibly Vickers)           ditto
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 24 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Just adding - Harriet is in Willoughton in 1871 but no child of hers with her.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 24 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Per GRO, a Rebecca was born in the March quarter, MMN Peart
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 24 16:16 GMT (UK) »
On the 31st ult, at Willoughton, the wife of John Wm Richardson, of a daughter.’

Were there any other John Wm Richardson men in the area the report could relate to?

What about the two deaths found by jim1 - did either of those have fathers John Wm just in case.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 January 24 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Found 2 deaths in Gainsborough:
Rebecca July Q 1862 aged 0 (mmn Peart) so if we're looking for mmn Bennett not her.
Susan 1869 aged 7. (mmn possibly Vickers)           ditto

Thank you! You are absolutely right - Harriet's maiden name was Bennett. This is confirmed by a marriage record and a newspaper report in the Stamford Mercury (both from 1854). Apologies for not mentioning this in my post. I was afraid of running out of space! I hadn't linked these 2 children's deaths to their mothers' maiden names. I'm very grateful to you for clarifiying this.

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 January 24 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Just adding - Harriet is in Willoughton in 1871 but no child of hers with her.

Thank you! Yes, that is a very important fact. I believe the Census date in 1871 was 2 April. Harriet made her will later in that year, in October 1871. It is very detailed (and interesting). She mentions her brother, sisters, nephew and nieces - but, sadly, no child. Thank you for your help!

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 January 24 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Per GRO, a Rebecca was born in the March quarter, MMN Peart

Thank you! I had completely failed to find this maiden name. Harriet, John William Richardson's wife, was definitely Harriet Bennett at the time of her marriage. This is stated in the marriage record in 1854. So this rules out Rebecca as a possible child of the Richardsons. Thank you very much for discovering this!

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 24 18:39 GMT (UK) »
On the 31st ult, at Willoughton, the wife of John Wm Richardson, of a daughter.’

Were there any other John Wm Richardson men in the area the report could relate to?

What about the two deaths found by jim1 - did either of those have fathers John Wm just in case.

Thank you! As the newspaper birth announcement does not mention the mother's name, it is indeed very important to check if there is another John William Richardson in the area. There is only one person of that name in Willoughton's 1861 Census (the year before the mystery child's birth). Sadly, this John William died in 1869, before the next Census. It is clear from the newspaper announcement that the father of the child was a person of social importance - the other parents in this section were aristocrats. John William Richardson of Willoughton was one of its biggest farmers in 1862.

I don't have any evidence at the moment to link John William Richardson to any other dead child in the area, but will continue to look. Thank you very much for your time!