Author Topic: UK to Colorado in 1891  (Read 678 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: UK to Colorado in 1891
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 January 24 20:03 GMT (UK) »
You kindly supplied a lot of facts; thank you for listing the details.  I haven’t yet absorbed all of the details; apologies if it was mentioned…

You stated: “…She has a mother, brothers and sisters to weep after her in the Old Country, and a kindly good natured husband in this place, as well a brother of the grieving husband, who set up home with them here…”.   Have you searched for and found the brother’s arrival?  Again, sorry if you mentioned it.

The first passenger list that I found for a (an incorrect) Louisa Jones was almost impossible to read.  I wonder if your Louisa’s list might be in the same condition which could explain why she has not yet been found.

As mentioned, she could have sailed to Canada.  Quite a number of folks did sail to Canada even though they intended to live in the states (I’ve read that given the ties between Canada and England, it was “easier” to go that route).

I would imagine that you’ve searched for William’s arrival, but asking anyway. 

Don’t discount errors in passenger lists.  While looking for my Mumford ancestors, I found a married couple on a passenger list, but their birthplaces were recorded as Ireland rather than England - but, I am almost certain that they were my James and Susanna.

I will continue to follow this topic (later today).

Added:  Louisa could have sailed under the name of Mrs. W. Jones, which could hamper the search for her.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 January 24 21:16 GMT (UK) »
It seems that William Jones may have spent time working at the Frías Mine in Tolima, Colombia before his marriage, or perhaps he just learned about these mines from his brother-in-law.  Either way, it might have been his initial plan to seek his fortune in Colombia.

An article on the history of the Frías silver mines indicates that the mines were run by a group of 12-15 European engineers and managers who supervised crews of local miners.  Improvements were made to the mining machinery between 1883 and 1891, and the years from 1892 to 1900 were the most prosperous in the history of the mines.

Perhaps William went to Colombia but found that there was no suitable position available for him there and so decided to move on to North America, instead.  In that case, he could have traveled to the United States by ship to California or to one of the Gulf Coast ports [New Orleans or Galveston].

“History and Development of the Frias Silver-Mines”
By ARTHUR JAMES RUSSELL, Assoc. M. Inst. C.E.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:17 GMT (UK) »

No satisfactory options were showing up for Louisa, so I took a second look at a damaged passenger list that has a Wm Jones who was a miner from Aberystwyth. Unfortunately it only has “wife” for the next entry and an age that seems to end with “0” …

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-RW76-D?i=397 (entries #539 and #540)
Name of Vessel: Etruria
Port of Embarkation: Liverpool & Queenstown.
Date of Arrival: 6 Jul 1891

As this arrival had become the only possibility, I tried to find these people in the UK outward passenger lists, and eventually found a WW Jones and Mrs Jones (30y) departing England on the Etruria on 27 Jun 1891:

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 24 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  It really could be them., the initials are correct and Aberwyswyth is a very good clue.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 24 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  It really could be them., the initials are correct and Aberwyswyth is a very good clue.

Would the 19 year old Miss M Pritchard be travelling with them.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:53 GMT (UK) »

Would the 19 year old Miss M Pritchard be travelling with them.

I know little about passengers lists, but she has the same contract number which I believe indicates that the tickets were purchased by the same person.  I could be incorrect; I’m sure someone will come along who would know for sure.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 February 24 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I should have added additional details.  The first nine passengers at the top of the image were recorded with contract numbers
  “   [checkmark actually, not “]
  “
  “
  “
  “
etc.

This leads me to believe the passengers were not recorded in numerical order, but by their “ticket number”.

Great find, TreeSpirit.  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 02:28 GMT (UK) »
The New York passenger list has a Thos Wm Jones, age 27(?), on the line directly above Wm Jones.  Could he have been a brother, cousin or other relative?  I have not yet found his name on the passenger list for the ship leaving England.  :-\

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 06:07 GMT (UK) »
The New York passenger list has a Thos Wm Jones, age 27(?), on the line directly above Wm Jones.  Could he have been a brother, cousin or other relative?  I have not yet found his name on the passenger list for the ship leaving England.  :-\

Thomas is on the same page as our couple: Ticket #2629 ... No new info though

BTW there seem to be 4 persons (2 males, 2 females) from Aberystwth grouped together on the New York inward passenger list:
#538 - Thos Wm Jones, 27y, miner (Is he related?)
#539 - Wm Jones. ?1y, miner
#540 - <name?>, ?0y , wife
#541 - <name?>, <age?>, spinster

I’m wondering whether the illustrious Miss M Pritchard might be entry #541 i.e. still listed with the couple on arrival