Author Topic: Industrial School Madresfield  (Read 155 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Industrial School Madresfield
« on: Sunday 21 January 24 07:31 GMT (UK) »
 hello
I  am hoping someone can tell me how to access records from an industrial school in Madresfield in Worcestershire in 1881.

The 1881 census for that are shows one of the children as Bertha Bromley age 13 from London . I am keen to find out when she was admitted and hopefully the names of her parents.

Many thanks

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial School Madresfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 24 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You may already have seen this website but just in case here’s the link:

https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/MadresfieldStAgnes/index.shtml

Unfortunately it says no records have been located.  However it appears that from 1874 many of the pupils were referred from workhouses so maybe Bertha appears in those records for one of the London institutions.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 24 08:07 GMT (UK) »
From GRO index there are two Bertha Bromley’s born in London around the right time but one is with her parents in 1881. The other was registered in St Pancras 1867 mmn Foreman.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 24 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank You for this. I had found a Bertha ,parents  Jane ( Foreman) and James Bromley a bricklayer and as they both die with in a few years of her birth thought it possible. Jane Bromley in 1869 and James in 1879 ( born Gloucestershire 1821)  . Both buried Camden

But no luck in finding Bertha on any 1871 census for London. And Those i did find  for other parts of country don't fit. A mystery. Perhaps her surname was misspelt.  Can not find the James mentioned above on any 1871 census either

Have  found the other birth you mention --Bertha Eleanor --and she goes on to marry in 1892 in London

What surprised me was that children from London would be sent so far away. Never stop finding new information on this site . Thank you .