Author Topic: California birthplace claim  (Read 2792 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: California birthplace claim
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 January 24 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for the continuing comments.  I had found the births for Robert and Mary Ann, as in my opening post, it was the birth for Robert the father that I thought could not be found..... nor the marriage of the father Robert to Eliza Jane Reed.
I was interested in the comments about 'farmer' or 'labourer'- I have always assumed that information as to which depended solely on the aspirations of the person at that stage in their life.  When the son Robert marries in 1908 his father is a Gentleman Farmer......

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 January 24 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I was interested in the comments about 'farmer' or 'labourer'- I have always assumed that information as to which depended solely on the aspirations of the person at that stage in their life.  When the son Robert marries in 1908 his father is a Gentleman Farmer......

Not really. Farmers and larborers were like two different castes in Ireland. Not to be confused.
Now the younger son of a very small farmer could be reduced to that status, but in all my years I have never seen a laborer become a farmer except by marriage (rare) - and that is clearly not the case here. But I have seen several examples of the reverse,  whereby laborers were stated to be farmers, when not  - undocumented social promotion, so to speak.

And gentleman farmer in 1908!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 January 24 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, been re-reading.  How do you know the Mother was illiterate - just because she made her mark on the birth information? 

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 January 24 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Robert, the Clerk in Holy Orders, is Gillenders in various documents, including hus signature on marriage.
The marriage announcement describes him as the Rector of Kilcooley, Tipperary.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 January 24 08:53 GMT (UK) »
It does all fit though. Perhaps he considered the correct spelling for his surname was with an ‘e’.

This looks like Eliza Jane’s death
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05718/4613261.pdf

Is there any significance in ‘Farmer Class’? Or at least that’s what it looks like.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 January 24 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Is there any significance in ‘Farmer Class’? Or at least that’s what it looks like.
"Farming Class" indicates husband was a farmer although like other records this is based on what the informant said or, in the case of the registration perhaps what the registrar knew/thought.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 January 24 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, aghadowey.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 January 24 10:06 GMT (UK) »
This looks like Robert snr’s death
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1919/05136/4414760.pdf

PRONI https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx shows that his effects were £400 plus but there is no image.

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/home.jsp
Robert Gillanders (Farmer) late of Fastry, Co Monaghan
Armagh Will 1920 - date of grant 10th February 1920
Executor: William W Moore, Medical Practitioner

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 January 24 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, been re-reading.  How do you know the Mother was illiterate - just because she made her mark on the birth information?

Isn't that the classic symptom of illiteracy?

You stated that you are researching Robert, the son, a military chaplain during the Great War.
Have you examined his army service file?
Does its details agree on DOB, etc?
What years did he attend TCD?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area