Author Topic: California birthplace claim  (Read 2794 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: California birthplace claim
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 January 24 12:20 GMT (UK) »
For reference- "Probate of the Will of the late Robert Gillanders, Fastry, Co. Monaghan, Farmer, who died 18 September 1919, granted at Armagh, 10 February 1920 to Dr William W Moore, Medical Practicioner.. Effects: £486 6s 3d."

I had found the births for Robert and Mary Ann, as in my opening post, it was the birth for Robert the father that I thought could not be found..... nor the marriage of the father Robert to Eliza Jane Reed.
If you mean that you could not find the birth of the father Robert then it is simply because there was no birth registration in Ireland until 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 January 24 12:37 GMT (UK) »
This might be death of John Gillanders- age 48 so born c1876-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1924/05029/4374964.pdf
Another possibility is that he was 'adopted' or fostered by Robert & Eliza Jane.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 January 24 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I was looking for a baptism of Robert snr.

There are many examples of people making their mark on some documents and signing on others.

I have not found any WW1 records for Rev Robert Gillenders, though did find the MC in the London Gazette.  There are newspapers reports giving details of letters he has sent to parents and wives of both injured and dead sons and husbands.  He dies after prolonged ill-health having had parishes dotted around the south.  He seems to be Gillanders in Ireland and Gillenders in England.

But that does not get me any nearer California.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 00:03 GMT (UK) »
There are many examples of people making their mark on some documents and signing on others.
Two points:
- How many markswomen were the wives of "gentleman farmers"?
- How many of those who were actually able to sign were laborer's wives? Laborers and their wives being typically illiterate at the time.

I have not found any WW1 records for Rev Robert Gillenders, though did find the MC in the London Gazette.

I am thinking of the officers' service files held at Kew. They all survive to the best of my knowledge. The files themselves are not on the internet, but should be able to see if he is in it from online catalog? Someone on the Great War Forum might do a lookup if you post there (did for me anyway). There is a specific "Ireland" sub-section.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 00:23 GMT (UK) »
This might be death of John Gillanders- age 48 so born c1876-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1924/05029/4374964.pdf
Another possibility is that he was 'adopted' or fostered by Robert & Eliza Jane.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but do you have any photographs of the family?  Does he resemble family members?

I’ve not yet found anything helpful in California records.  I believe early on in the search I came across a John or Robert serving on a ship’s crew c1877, in California, but he supposedly was born in Inverness.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Australia sailed from San Francisco to Sydney, New South Wales on 21 August 1877
John Gillanders, “of what nation” - Inverness
Estimated Birth Year: 1844, age 33

Only mentioning it in case Robert had a brother.  ;)

Added:
1876 San Francisco Directory
John Gillander
Occupation - Steward Stm
Jackson Street Wharf
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 03:23 GMT (UK) »
There may also be a sub area or specific threads on the Great War Forum dedicated to members of the Chaplain's Corps.

Also threads dedicated to recipients of the MC.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Link for Robert Giillenders officer's service file, at Kew
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C697447

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you.

I have now actually started a file 'to do when I next go to Kew action list'   :)

I have looked at some Great War Forum groups and not liked them, but will try that one.