Author Topic: California birthplace claim  (Read 2790 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: California birthplace claim
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:35 GMT (UK) »
A theory or speculation.

Over the years I have seen some circumstantial evidence that registrars on occasion may have entered information on the basis that they "knew" the answers - but really didn't.

There was at lest one other contemporary Robert Gillanders in Monaghan at the time, probably two.
What if the registrar for the 1876 birth of the son, Robert, assumed that he "knew" the father, Robert senior, was one of these other Gillanders, a laborer?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Quite possible, Wexflyer, just like registrars assuming someone was illiterate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Quite possible, Wexflyer, just like registrars assuming someone was illiterate.

Indeed.
But two things about that:
- I would assume registrars only did that with those that looked the part?
- I would further assume that if one was actually from the gentleman farmer class, then one would take more than grave exception at being invited to make one's mark?

That last point being a key one for me. All part of why this is such a bizarre case.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Farmers did move around at times, especially those with small parcels of land- usually to a better property. They might also inherit a property.

Most movements were back in the 1800s, when farmers were tenants with little security - having to move when their lease or year-to-year tenancy expired. But this chap moved in the 1900s, after farm security was achieved. Apparently to a better place, to be sure.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 25 January 24 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I know of quite a few farmers who moved to better farms or a different area well into the 1900s. Often auction notices in whatever the local newspaper would have been can give an indication of dates but have found that it wasn't uncommon to find a place didn't actually sell on original date and further auction notices eventually led to a completed sale.
I think heywood's suggestion re: land records might be worth following up.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!