Author Topic: Help identify regiments etc. for these soldiers please.  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help identify regiments etc. for these soldiers please.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 January 24 20:04 GMT (UK) »
In my case it's FindMyPast

Thanks. Would ancestry.co.uk allow me the same access to records, to see for myself?

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 January 24 20:07 GMT (UK) »
They should have them.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 January 24 09:42 GMT (UK) »

Thanks. Would ancestry.co.uk allow me the same access to records, to see for myself?
[/quote]

For the soldier found by Jebber, the link below will take you to his record on Ancestry

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/15719:61803?tid=&pid=&queryId=253af740-cbf5-4195-b095-86b6ebf2c15f&_phsrc=tTZ1279&_phstart=successSource

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:39 GMT (UK) »
OK, I've had a look at these results and I think it's best if I reply to each post separately, using the Quote function for each. So stand by for replies.

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:42 GMT (UK) »
The Prince of Wales Feathers form the basis of around a dozen different regiments' badges, some infantry but also a number of yeomanry regiments, such as the Wiltshire Yeomanry (image below) and the 10th Imperial Yeomanry. The slouch hat in the top two pictures makes me think of the Second Boer War, in which case the Imperial Yeomanry would fit well.  This hat was only worn to a very limited extent during World War One, mainly in Africa and the Middle East I believe. Given that the man in the first picture is wearing medal ribbons, this reinforces my view that he may have taken part in the Boer war and the studio picture was taken closer to the First World War.

The Imperial Yeomanry were mounted infantry so the puttees evident in the photographs would be appropriate dress if they didn't have riding boots.

I would agree that the man in image one is probably the man in the centre of the second image.

Thanks for that information and confirmation. Very interesting and hopefully will lead to lots of information from military records (if I have access - haven't tried that source yet).

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a John  A TODD  born Shankhill Belfast  1881 in the Imperial Yomenry in the  Boer War.

He attested aged 20 yrs, can’t make out the months. 26th February 1901.

He served 1 yr and 94 days.

Mother Maria TODD 6 Glenfern St. Belfast.

He was 6ft weight 161lbs, complexion fresh,  eyes grey, hair light brown. 2 distinguishing marks L but it doesn’t say where.

A Cpl when discharged.

Thanks. The problem with this one is the year of birth and perhaps, the Street name.

My searches produced a death certificate, showing death on 3/11/1923 aged 43. This was 100% correct as it showed my grandmothers name and the home address I recognise from many visits there during the 1950's. So that would make his birth year 1880, yes?

So, using that information, I searched for a birth around 1880, checking for exact name and age for each result and found only one with middle name Alexander, born 29/10/1880. This is a copy of a registration book entry and I've ordered up a birth certificate. The mother is shown as Maria Ann but the address is not Glenfern Street, it's 44 Langford Street.

Then again, perhaps he was born in Langford Street but by the time he enlisted (attested?) age 21, his address was Glenfern St. That still doesn't explain the year of birth difference. Curious how the mothers name is the same though. Could the year of birth in your source be recorded wrongly and this is the correct person?

Thanks again.

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:12 GMT (UK) »
There's Trooper John Alexander Todd regimental number 302 who served in the 1st Imperial Light Horse in South Africa 1899 -1902. However the ILH capbadge was different, consisting of two crossed Colours, so if this is your man he must have subsequently joined another regiment which had the Prince of Wales feathers as a capbadge.
There's another candidate (the one Jebber has spotted): LCpl John A Todd 35493 serving in 74 (Dublin) Company 8 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry.

Lots of ifs here, but if he did serve in South Africa, I'd put money on him joining a British Yeomanry regiment prior the outbreak of World War one.

Thanks. See my reply to Jebber above. All very interesting. I need to get to the library and look through results from Ancestry.co.uk to see these things for myself. I'll start using the link provided.

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:13 GMT (UK) »

For the soldier found by Jebber, the link below will take you to his record on Ancestry

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/15719:61803?tid=&pid=&queryId=253af740-cbf5-4195-b095-86b6ebf2c15f&_phsrc=tTZ1279&_phstart=successSource
[/quote]

Great, thanks.

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 January 24 16:12 GMT (UK) »
"There is a John  A TODD  born Shankhill Belfast  1881 in the Imperial Yomenry in the  Boer War.

He attested aged 20 yrs, can’t make out the months. 26th February 1901."

Actually, if we ignore the reference to 1881, these details do work with my search results.

My search result was a man born on 29/10/1880, so his 20th birthday would have been on 29/10/1900. So he would have been aged 20 on the attestation date, 26/02/1901.

I need to get a good look at the actual attestation record but this still looks hopeful.