Author Topic: Workhouse & Burial in Stockport  (Read 300 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Workhouse & Burial in Stockport
« on: Sunday 21 January 24 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I've just got a death certificate for a relative called Annie Entwistle nee Lynch who died in 1918 in Stockport. From what I can see the address is 26 Lower Bury Street, UD, Stockport. She died aged just 34 and after a really harsh life with her husband Abraham who was constantly in jail, amoungst other things for neglecting his family. I wondered if anyone may be able to see where she may be buried - if she is in fact in Stockport (she was born in Oldham but I cannot find her there). I was shocked to see that she is listed as still living with Abraham when she died and that he is the witness on her death certificate. I also wondered where the workhouse may have been that she died in, it is listed as the Union Workhouse Shaw Heath.
Any help would be great, thanks, Luke

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse & Burial in Stockport
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 24 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse & Burial in Stockport
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:09 GMT (UK) »
As far as I’m aware most of the workhouse records have been lost although I did find one following a death which stated that the body had been removed for burial by friends.

As for likely burial places, the one I mention was buried a short distance away at Edgeley Methodist Church - now beneath a supermarket car park. I would suggest that you start by looking at the Stockport Borough Cemetery - now run by the Co-op. You might also consider Willow Grove - a privately run cemetery but with paupers burials. The closest burial ground to Higher Bury Street is what’s left of Christ Church on Wellington Road North (the A6). Don’t think of visiting without checking first though, the graveyard has been inaccessible for years.