Author Topic: Looking for help with a blank Naval record - why would this be?  (Read 722 times)

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for help with a blank Naval record - why would this be?
« on: Sunday 21 January 24 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the life (and death) of one George Ketchley who joined the Royal Navy as a boy in 1866 and, again, 'as a man' on his 17th birthday on March 28th 1870. I think for a period of 10 years.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how this system worked and why his record (which I have from the National Archives) might be blank. (THe sheet that usually has ships and dates served etc is there, but empty)

George was from Hampshire. He married in Liverpool in Feb 1878 and fathered a child born in Boston, Massachusetts in November 1878. On his marriage certificate he is described as 'a mariner', could he have still been in the RN (as this date is within his 10 year service period)? Is there a way to trace ships, naval or otherwise from Liverpool to the USA in this period?

Finally, I can find no further info on George in either the UK or US. His wife appears to have married again in Massachusetts in 1888 so, unless this marriage was bigamous (which is a possibility) George died between February 1878 and Sept 1888. TIA 

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help with a blank Naval record - why would this be?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 24 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Could you post a photo of the top part of his Navy record which does contain some details? I'm wondering if perhaps he was in the Royal Naval Reserve which might account for why he was not shown as serving in any ships. Quite a lot of merchant seamen were in the RNR.

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 24 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hope this works!

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 24 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Other pages such as parental permission etc are completed and he is listed on the 1871 census as not being on board the Duke of Wellington, Including Her Tenders, The Victory, Black Eagle, Firequeen, and Sprightly. He is also recorded in 1871 as being at home with his father and his father's new wife, in Portsea, which all fits. His mother had died in 1869.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 24 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's certainly blank! As you can see from the front page his reckonable service would have started when he reached his 18th birthday. But he also had the opportunity to come out before his 18th birthday if he wished, so I'm wondering if that's what happened.  I don't think the 1871 census return contradicts that that possibilty although it would be strange if the Navy felt it had to account for him if he had left the service the previous year.

Keep an eye open for when HMac next logs in to the forums, as I'm sure he might offer a more sensible explanation than mine.

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 January 24 19:59 GMT (UK) »
OK Thanks

Online martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 January 24 11:08 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors has that kind of record. But he also has another record which is the normal RN record which shows his service on all the ships. You might find that your relative also has another record.

Martin

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 January 24 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on NA archives and there are no more. Where would I find it, maybe?

Online martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:30 GMT (UK) »
If it exists it will be on ancestry or findmypast.

Martin