Author Topic: New laptop opinion  (Read 1145 times)

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New laptop opinion
« on: Sunday 21 January 24 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I hope it's ok to post this.

I'm hoping to purchase a new laptop in the near future, to replace the very slow Lenovo I have, and would appreciate opinions from any of the knowledgeable people on this board.

I have seen a HP laptop which seems to meet my requirements. The details are: HP 250 G9 Intel core i7 512 GB. As I've never used a HP laptop, does anyone have an opinion on this, or are have any other recommendations?

Many thanks, frostyknight

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New laptop opinion
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 24 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Totally depends upon what you want to use it for hence if you could supply more details that would help.

An idea of budget will also be useful.

One comment thought, 512Gb is not a bad size but if you are going to have any quantity of images, video and music then it can soon get filled.

Personally I would only ever buy a Macbook, we have a Macboook Air, M2 processor and 1 Tb drive.  It  boots rapidly, has a small form, it is lightweight, has a great screen, a battery that lasts all day but its Downside is its costs.  I use it for our family research and I have Roots Magic, Family Tree Maker, Reunion and MacTree all installed on it with Apple’s free Word equivalent Pages (so no subscription is required), Numbers (Excel equivalent) and Affinity Publisher 2 which is a desktop publishing app that I use for family stories.

I do have an Asus windows laptop that has given 15 years of trouble free service, I also use ASUS components (Motherboards) in the computers that I build and am pleased with the quality of the products that Asus produce.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 24 09:10 GMT (UK) »
A general comment.

I've had Dell, Mac and HP machines. All have been excellent. I'm not fond of Macs as they are too nanny-ish for my liking, although for graphics/image work they are  better. Also, some of my favourite programs don't run on them.

My last two laptops and current desktop are HPs. I also have an elderly Mac desktop that I use for my art/photographic work.  The HP laptops have been excellent.

Your choice should depend on your usage and pocket.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 24 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Like Gadget I have had Dell, HP & Mac laptops.

The Dells were fine.

My inexpensive HP was awful.  It failed completely at 6 weeks and 9 months when still under guarantee.  Then the hinge to top case broke - luckily I had bought an extended warranty.  It still works and find it useful when looking at FH data using an external hard drive. I wish more laptops came with integrated CD drives.

My daughter passed on her Mac to me.  It took a bit of getting used too.  I needed new FH software. I love the sharpness. They are expensive though.

Shop around and look at online reviews.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Totally depends upon what you want to use it for hence if you could supply more details that would help.

Exactly. Depending on what you want to do even a Chromebook might meet your needs. They are so cheap I recently bought one just to try it out. I am very impressed so far. (Lenovo ideapad Chromebook plus).

Martin

Offline NickDub

• RootsChat Extra
  • nickduberley dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 January 24 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I use a cheap chromebook for mobility, and Google Docs on it is free,
Most of the time, I use a desktop which I bought refurbished off eBay, and MS Office. You get more for your money that way.
Dell is generally a good brand - a lot of companies go with them exclusively.
Duberley
Worgan Gloucestershire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at the consumer website which rates products.
Two expensive Macs ( both over £1200 ) are rated first and second, followed by an HP Envy X360

I don't see the one that you describe but here's one review that I found

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-250-G9-review-An-affordable-office-laptop-with-a-Core-i3-and-an-IPS-panel.779894.0.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline NickDub

• RootsChat Extra
  • nickduberley dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I usually check on Amazon too, if I'm planning on buying something like that. Not so much for the price, but the reviews on there are normally from people who have already bought a similar item.
Duberley
Worgan Gloucestershire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:25 GMT (UK) »
It really depends with Amazon reviews - I take them with a pinch of salt!

Best to use Which or computer/tech magazines.