Author Topic: Boarding Out Children  (Read 553 times)

Offline upton25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding Out Children
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 February 24 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh

This information is wonderful Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this detail. Absolutely fascinating. I was aware Joseph had been lost at sea after a torpedo attack. But I hadn't researched his Navy records. My cousin will be very grateful as well.
I am going to the Northants Record Office next week and have booked the records available for the workhouse and Poor Law Union in Daventry. Hopefully I can find more information on Joseph's life there Many thanks Kaz

Offline upton25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding Out Children
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Just to update as I managed to get to the Northants Archives last week So pleased as I secured books from the PL3 archive for Daventry and found Joseph in Braunston Cottage Home aged 4, followed by Long Buckby with a Mrs Mitchell until the committee noted she seemingly struggled with him.
He was transferred to a Mrs Marriott in Daventry, followed a by a short spell with his Aunt in Bulwell Nottingham only to return and be considered for a Reformatory School and then finally sent to the training ship 'Exmouth' in 1918. So interesting reading the Guardians minutes and receipt books for his education clothing and food. Thank you again to all the advice I received So happy to be filling in the gaps with my 2 x Great Uncle
Kaz :)