Author Topic: DICKEY family from Ballyclare Co Antrim?  (Read 221 times)

Offline ADD3115666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DICKEY family from Ballyclare Co Antrim?
« on: Monday 22 January 24 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I learned from a family report done about 40 yrs ago (with no sources listed) that my ancestors were the William DICKEY family from Ballyclare Co Antrim. The parents, William and Eliza (?), and their 8 children went to America thru Philadelphia in 1849. Records from First Presbyterian Church in Aurora, Indiana show the parents being admitted to the church in March 1850 and that they died of cholera later that year. The children ranged in ages from about twenty to two years old. I’ve been tracking the children after 1850 but would like to learn more about where they came from as well as getting confirmation on the mother’s name. My ancestor was their oldest son Andrew Dickey who was educated as a teacher at Queens College Belfast and taught school in Kells prior to leaving Ireland. It is also stated that he was a tutor for the Earl of Telford/Leford’s children. Not sure I have the Earl’s name correct - it is listed in several different ways through the document. Any guidance or information would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DICKEY family from Ballyclare Co Antrim?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 24 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Welcome to Rootschat.

There were a few Dickey families in the Ballyclare area.  Do you know what age William and Eliza were?  Can you give us a list of their children and their approximate dates of births? 

Offline ADD3115666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 24 16:47 GMT (UK) »
When the family emigrated to America in July 1849 on the Stephen Baldwin to Philadelphia from Liverpool. It shows William and wife Eliza age 40 b c 1809, Jane age 16 b c. 1833, Eliza age 15 b 1834, Mary age 13 b 1836, David age 11 b 1838, John age 9 b 1840, William Hugh age 7 b 1842, James Hugh age 5 b 1844.  There is an older brother Andrew who traveled separately and I believe he was 18 or 19 b c 1830. I have seen some conflicting dates for James in 1850 and 1860 census as being born more in the time of 1847.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 24 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the details.  I found the 1849 shipping record you referred to.  Interestingly William is recorded as a miner from England which does put a question mark over whether it is the right family.  But if the names and ages of the children all line up with the records you’ve found in the US then maybe that is them.

I also came across the shipping record for the son Andrew Dickey (20yo schoolmaster from Ireland) when he travelled in 1852.  The next passenger on the list was James Todd (also 20yo, shoemaker) who might have been from Ballyclare too.