Author Topic: Joseph Perkins and Ann Elizabeth Linfordm Sheffield  (Read 186 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Perkins and Ann Elizabeth Linfordm Sheffield
« on: Monday 22 January 24 21:52 GMT (UK) »
In Birmingham and Sheffield between 1900 and 1909 Joseph Perkins, born Birmingham, sired three children with Ann Elizabeth Linford, nee Latham also of Birmingham, wife of Charles Linford.

The births were as follows:

20 Feb 1900 Annie Elizabeth Perkins, in Birmingham
8 Mar 1905 John William Perkins, in Sheffield
18 May 1909 Doris Perkins Linford, also in Sheffield.

There were so many Joseph Perkins births in Birmingham in the 1860s that we cannot provide a definite birth for Joseph but by 1905 he was living in Sheffield with Ann Elizabeth Linford. Nor can we find a divorce record for Charles Linford and Ann Elizabeth or a death record for Joseph Perkins. We do know that Ann Elizabeth returned to Linford by about 1920.
Please can anyone help?

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Perkins and Ann Elizabeth Linfordm Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 24 22:47 GMT (UK) »
When Charles Linford married for 2nd time on 4 Dec. 1898 he is described as widower.
Divorce was expensive and unusual for labourering folks,
was it unlikely to have happened in this instance?

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I think that divorce in this instance was highly unlikely. I've been advised that until the advent of the Married Women's Property Act, 1927 divorced men were allowed to describe themselves as widowers, as Charles did at his second marriage, though I'm very doubtful that he was actually divorced.

The real nub of the puzzle is that the birth cert for Doris, registered as Perkins Linford did not contain a father's name, which suggests to me that the relationship might have been breaking down by 1909 and that Charles Linford was prepared to take Ann Elizabeth back and even describe her daughter Doris as hi stepdaughter on the 1921 census. This despite the fact that his second wife, Elizabeth Jane Parsons, nee Jones, was still living. She died in 1941.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)