Author Topic: MADELINE KEARNS (CHARLES?)  (Read 2809 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: MADELINE KEARNS (CHARLES?)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 03:09 GMT (UK) »
It is an interesting case, and my initial thoughts were along the same lines as judb's. "Madeline" would not need any proof of her own or the reputed father's names. It certainly sounds like she knew the CHARLES family well enough to know Ada's maiden name.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 06:49 GMT (UK) »
It is an interesting case, and my initial thoughts were along the same lines as judb's. "Madeline" would not need any proof of her own or the reputed father's names. It certainly sounds like she knew the CHARLES family well enough to know Ada's maiden name.

I think judb's surmising is very fair too

Just adding on the subject of Madeline being so familiar with Ada's details-

Also noting she gave the same birth year as Ada 1880, (though Ada was actually born late December 1879)
The stated marriage is year out by one year

Ada's older sister Annie Matilda KEARNS born 1876 married in 1894 to Charles Frederick (maybe Charles   Henry) HAIGH. They lived round Granville and Parramatta.

Strangely no registered children to them until a possible birth 1902 at Parramatta, Henry C. A HAIGH.

The divorce proceedings of this couple state Charles Frederick Haigh left Annie in 1916 and did not return.  One has the impression of an unhappy situation.

Just rambly thoughts really ;D
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue yes and it is driving me nuts!  LOL  I've added a quick snippet here re the family.  Ada was born in O'connell/Bathurst NSW.  Looks like three of the siblings were registered in Bathurst NSW. Many thanks Dianna

Is Ada Victoria the youngest child? Or did she have younger siblings?

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, thanks to all for you input and ideas.  Ada was the youngest child I believe.  I will have to find her birth certificate and double check.

As to Madelines name I agree this could be completely fictious.  Maybe more will be revealed if I can make contact with the records department.  Perhaps the Universities are not back from Xmas break, maybe that is why no one has responded maybe.

The closest I got to finding anything on a "Madeline Kearns" was a marriage to a a Gerald Joseph HEFFERNAN, her name was spelt KERANS though in 1908 Waterloo NSW

So if the name she is using at the time her son Alexander was born it will be very difficult to track her movements.

If I discover that the children Elizabeth M and/or Alexander were placed in an orphanage or adopted that maybe helpful.

Both my Grandfather Alexander and his brother Hubert Gavin Charles were placed in an orphanage in Baulkum Hills near Parramatta when their Dad Hubert died in 1905.

Ada remarried a Reuben Smith, she was very ill with TB as well and died from it eventually.

Thankfully the boy's Uncle George Charles was looking out for them and took them to visit their mum.  I think they left the orphanage about 1915???

It's a very strange story and if I ever find anything more about it I will be very happy. 

Madeline must have known the family, surely.  Regards Dianna

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, thanks to all for you input and ideas.  Ada was the youngest child I believe.  I will have to find her birth certificate and double check.

As I noted above, Ada was born in the last days of December 1879 and registered in 1880. I don't see any further births.
Sue

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:26 GMT (UK) »
This is the death notice in 1947 for Gerald Joseph HEFFERNAN,
Husband of Madeline, 
Mentions children.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/27901395

Sue
ADDING This is probably the death of Madaline

HEFFERNAN Madeline
40477/1968
Parents MICHAEL & ANNIE
At NEWTOWN

Her birth
KERANS Madeline
Parents MICHAEL & ANNIE
12378/1887
At WATERLOO

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:41 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of places where the surname of the Madeline who married Gerald Heffernan is spelt KEARNS.

An on-line tree suggests that she was 4th of 17 children born to Michael James Kearns and Anne nee Jones (corresponds with birth found by Sue).
Annie's death, 1926
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16281647
Michael's death 1949
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18106684
Michael is buried at Rookwoood Ctholic section.

This Madeline is of an age when she may have had a child in 1904. This Kearns family seem to be around Newtown/Waterloo area.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again just looking at Ada's birth certificate she was in fact born 8 December 1879 Eight mile Swamp and the birth was indeed registerd 12 Jan 1880 in Bathurst.

Previous issue 2 Males 3 Femails Living one male deceased.

Thank you for the Hefferan information.  I sent a a request a couple of day's ago to Ryerson for a lookup with Madelines death, maybe a Red Herring but who knows.

Seems that from the notice for Gerald there are two children Margaret and John.  Looks like a possible dead end.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Just following on with Heffernan, in hopes there might be a way of finding a relative who may know of a (probably) illegitimate birth.

NSW BMD births are only available after 100 years so only up to January, 1924

There are only 2 births noted to Gerald and Madeline Heffernan, both registered in Balmain
1909/ G33962 Margaret HEFFERNAN
1917/M28471  Elsie M HEFFERNAN
Then a death, also 1917 for Elsie M Heffernan

According to an on-line tree, Margaret marries Donald J Johnson in 1931 and the only child mentioned on the tree of that marriage died in 2007. So that line is gone!

I do not see a birth for the John mentioned in the death notice

So that line is gone!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk