Author Topic: MADELINE KEARNS (CHARLES?)  (Read 2807 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: MADELINE KEARNS (CHARLES?)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 05:23 GMT (UK) »
1905 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/86183918
The death occurred on Saturday last at the early age of 29 years, of Mr. Hubert Charles, a well known Parramatta North young man. Deceased had suffered for many years past from a chest affection, and had sought relief at the Thirlmere and Liverpool Hospitals. He had been employed for several years at the Parramatta Woollen Mills, and leaves a wife and one child to mourn their loss.
The funeral took place on Monday.

Several In Memoriam notices but this one has wife identified by name.
1908 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85978758
CHARLES.— In loving memory of my dear husband, Hubert Gavin Charles, who died November 18, 1905. Inserted by his loving wife, Ada Charles, and children, Alick and Hubert.

1910 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85999270
… Inserted by his loving wife, and children, Alexander George and Hubert Gavin Charles.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yes that is my Great Grandfather.  He seemed to be very much loved by Ada!  Just cannot understand where/how this MADELINE fits into the picture. 

I could not find a birth/death or anything on the child Elizabeth M who was supposedly born in around 1902???  I hope I can find out if Alexander was put in an orphanage or died or????  The things we discover doing family history.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 05:55 GMT (UK) »
As an aside. looking at the online tree snip you posted, Ada Victoria KEARN's mother would have been 55 when giving birth to her and her father 82.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 06:07 GMT (UK) »

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 06:11 GMT (UK) »
As an aside. looking at the online tree snip you posted, Ada Victoria KEARN's mother would have been 55 when giving birth to her and her father 82.
Sue

They are the parents of the husband of  Mary Ann Webb. 

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh Yes. tiny snip I misread it!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 09:56 GMT (UK) »
https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01517
 - is this the contact you're waiting for info from?

Certainly "Madeline" had to have some acquaintance at least with Hubert and Ada - she knew his full name, occupation, and Ada's maiden name.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi jorose yes it was Lynette Russell I am trying to contact.  Thanks Dianna

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Having helped a friend with a birth in a similar situation, I'll put up a hypothesis.

The full title of the Home of Hope, Newtown. is
Home of Hope for Friendless and Fallen Women (1883 - 1904)

Thus it would seem likely that the mother of Alexander b 1904 had no, or few means of support.  Back in 1904 most people had no formal identification and it was easy to use a different name.  In my friend's case we found that the mother had been admitted to a home for unmarried mothers using the name of her employer.  That child was subsequently adopted and was given a new name so it was very difficult to find him.

I wonder if this is what happened here - there seems no other records of Madeline Kearns so perhaps it's an assumed name, obviously she knew Hubert and she knew Ada's birth surname so decided to register the baby using those names.  Perhaps Hubert was the actual father of the baby and "Madeline" decided to give the baby a similar name to Hubert's legitimate child.  As the informant on this birth was Madeline, Hubert may not even have known that his name was used.

Hopefully there may be some records still available.  There doesn't seem to be much information about the Home and what happened to the mothers and babies after the births.  Informal adoptions were very common and some have no records at all so perhaps the mystery will never be solved.
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk