Author Topic: Ambrose O'Neil (1843), Bernard O'Neill and Mary O'Hara  (Read 188 times)

Offline moneil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ambrose O'Neil (1843), Bernard O'Neill and Mary O'Hara
« on: Tuesday 23 January 24 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I have been researching my family tree for quite some time and have hit a brick wall. My 3rd great-grandfather, Ambrose O’Neil, was born around 1843 in Randalstown, County Antrim according to his baptism record from the Ireland Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915. I have found multiple records from Scotland where he married Agnes Brown (b. 1847) in Kinning Park, Glasgow as well as England because they moved to West Ham, London around 1880. They had eight children. He passed on 17th June 1899 at the Seaman’s Hospital in West Ham due to a fall on the S.S Menominee. The only thing I can find on his parents is that their names were Bernard O’Neill and Mary O’Hara from Ambrose’s baptism record.

I am eager to find out more about Ambrose, his parents and beyond. I have looked amongst many sources and only found the info that I have on Ancestry.

Thanks so much for your time!

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose O'Neil (1843), Bernard O'Neill and Mary O'Hara
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 24 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Registers for there commence 1825, baptisms and marriages, which is earlier than many R.C parishes, with the NLI microfilm images name indexed in the Ancestry collection you cite. https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0411
Have a look at the background on
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Roman-Catholic-baptism.html
His parents will have been baptised before 1825 and O'Neill is a very common surname
https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=O%27Neill
There are many trees online, some detailed with his naval/merchant service, death articles etc, Randalstown being mentioned on the English 1861, 1871 and his marriage cert but no one has established info further back for his parents. He did have a brother Bernard baptised same church 1837 and likely some more between then and his birth, you may need to browse the images. Then the sister afterwards. A tree suggests she and parents were in Scotland 1861 & 71, based on Margaret of about the right age being with a Bernard & Mary from 'Ireland'. Scottish deaths record parents so those would add names to the top.

Offline moneil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose O'Neil (1843), Bernard O'Neill and Mary O'Hara
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 24 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking into this, I will definitely take a look at those links! I recently found his brother on Ancestry although I couldn't find anything other than his baptism record.