Author Topic: Dating of Photographs and name of Lancashire Photographer - GUERIN family  (Read 379 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dating of Photographs and name of Lancashire Photographer - GUERIN family
« on: Tuesday 23 January 24 04:48 GMT (UK) »
I hope that someone out there can hep me with a conundrum.

I have two photographs old family photographs that were kept paired in a plush leather standing frame.

The card around them says the photograph comes from "James Porter," 80 Alexandra Road, Manchester." I had found that he seemed to begin his activity around 1900, which led me to believe that the couple in the photographs were my great grandfather's cousin and his wife - Thomas Austin Guerin (1853-1904) and Anna Milford (1846-1932) they had married in 1902. Thomas had been born in Manchester, but based in South Africa for the previous 20 years. His last 2 years were in London.

I looked at them more closely recently and saw that there was a blurred imprint of a photographer's details in the bottom right corner of the woman's photograph.

I can't make out the photographer's name, but underneath in all Caps it says "St Annes on the Sea," which is near Blackpool in Lancashire. Can anyone make out the name of the photographer?

I've had a look at the original today, and while it appears to be an imprint in my scan, the original is flat.

I believe these may have been rephotographed at Porter's (he was based a block from my great grandparents), but photographed earlier. MyHeritage's photo date AI says about 1882 for the man, and couldn't figure out the woman's date.

Could these be my Gr x2 grandparents instead?

Thomas Guerin (1833-1904) and Mary Ann Fitzpatrick (c1840-1909).

Their deaths were during the time that Porter was extant at that address, and it feels like it makes more sense that a parent or grandparent's photographs were kept in such a careful display case, as opposed to cousins who lived in London.

Does this seem feasible?
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating of Photographs and name of Lancashire Photographer - GUERIN family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 24 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Most likely to be Thomas and Mary, these look to be enlargements  of early Edwardian photos.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 24 13:04 GMT (UK) »
There are newspaper ads in the Blackpool Times, 1901, for a photographer – Sellman & Co. – operating in Orchard Road, St Anne’s.

I can sort of see that name in the image?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 24 10:45 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to both of you.

I think you may be on the money about Sellman & Co. I'd made out a Co and thought I could see "man", but the eye of faith can see Sellman now that you've pointed it out.

Could the photos be earlier than Edwardian, do you think? Thomas would be pushing 70 if that was the case, and I don't think he looks that old in the picture. Mary would be about 60.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham