Author Topic: Who was Abraham Lewis aka Judah Nathan born c1815 Aldgate?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Abraham Lewis aka Judah Nathan born c1815 Aldgate?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I think in my original post, I wrote that Abraham/Judah died 16th Jan 1896 .....according to newspaper reports, it was Thursday, 2nd January, 1896.
There is a burial for a Lewis Nathan at Rookwood Cemetery, but the dates are off:
Lewis Nathan
Date of Death: 1 Jan 1895
Date of Burial: 1 Jan 1895
Plot: OGN_Zone A/16/699
AU / New South Wales / Rookwood Cemetery
I rang the cemetery, it is an unmarked grave and he is the only person buried in the grave. That was the only info the lady on the phone would reveal. The date is out by a year.

Interesting. It does seem likely to be the same man, despite the discrepancy. The attached is a snippet from an article in the Jewish Herald, dated Jan. 24, 1896, which I saw on the Trove website. It refers to him as Lewis (or Judah) Nathan. Here's the link:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/147276783/17604108

You mentioned that his death was registered under the name Louis Nathan. Do you have a copy of the actual death record? I'm just curious if it contains any useful clues.

Our Jewish ancestors' habit of using more than one set of names certainly complicates things for us.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Death Registration:-
NATHAN  LOUIS
2500/1896 LIVERPOOL (1 Jan 1896)
mother - UNKNOWN
father - UNKNOWN

I would suggest the 1895 date could be a transcription error ( 6 and 5 can sometimes look alike when written poorly); or an error in recording the date at cemetery. The first day of the new year, and someone just wrote the old year down by mistake.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 21:41 GMT (UK) »
A possible relation? ….

Newgate  Jail
trial 15 June 1843
Robert Lewis age 36
occupation Hair dresser
malicious wounding - 6 mths hard labour

possibly Robert in 1851

Piece number 1573, Folio 159, Page 12
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 January 24 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Death Registration:-
NATHAN  LOUIS
2500/1896 LIVERPOOL (1 Jan 1896)
mother - UNKNOWN
father - UNKNOWN

I would suggest the 1895 date could be a transcription error ( 6 and 5 can sometimes look alike when written poorly); or an error in recording the date at cemetery. The first day of the new year, and someone just wrote the old year down by mistake.
I just rang the cemetery querying the dates and was told an archivist will look into it and they'll get back to me. I agree with you, Neale.

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 January 24 00:16 GMT (UK) »
A possible relation? ….

Newgate  Jail
trial 15 June 1843
Robert Lewis age 36
occupation Hair dresser
malicious wounding - 6 mths hard labour

possibly Robert in 1851

Piece number 1573, Folio 159, Page 12
Thank you, Lizzie.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 January 24 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I have had my DNA tested and it shows that I am 4% Jewish. My father's only brother is 7% Jewish...working back from this, it would mean that Rachel would have beeen 50% Jewish, so that perhaps Abraham and Johanna were her parents kind of fits my theory.
I have a 50 cM DNA match with a descendant from (Mark) Mordecai Nathan and his wife Frances Isaacs, through their son Joseph Nathan who married Elizabrth Levy. These families lived in the Spitalfields area of London.

Mordecai NATHAN (1746-1841) and Frances (1737-1841) Dutch Jewish

I see they had a large family and you would need to look at each child to see what becomes of them. But since you have a DNA link, it seems that is the way to go.

I notice a son named Lewis NATHAN born 1783
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 January 24 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Neale, I totally agree that the large family of Mordecai Nathan is the link. I have no DNA matches with anyone connected to the  surname of "Lewis", but have several matches connected to Mordecai Nathan. The fact that there was a son, "Lewis Nathan", makes you wonder how the names Abraham Lewis aka Judah Nathan came to be. His tattoo, "JN" is very telling.
I often wondered why my great great grandmother died with parents "unknown" on her death certificate. If she were the child of Abraham Lewis and Johanna Sullivan, her childhood would have been pretty dreadful given the circumstances that befell her parents. Perhaps the best thing that ever happened to her was to marry James Mullins and put the past behind her. She went on to live a happy life, passing away iat Burwood in 1912.