Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 28th January  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 28th January
« on: Tuesday 23 January 24 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Can't see any sign of a new diary thread this week so thought I'd start one.

All calm here after storm Isha, Jocelyn is on the way from midday but only a yellow warning whereas yesterday's was an amber warning. Sad to read of a couple of deaths due to the storm. Apparently we can expect such extremes of weather to continue due to climate change.  :-\
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 28th January
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Its Dark Wet and Cold up here on the North East Coast
When is it going to get better .I'm so fed up of this weather
I've popped a rice pudding in the over
it might cheer me up  ;D ???
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 12:45 GMT (UK) »
The storm didn't affect us very much in South Devon.  Just a few potted plants blown over in the garden and some rain coming through the (sealed) bathroom window - don't ask me how.  I believe we are going to have to get used to this kind of weather in the future, so the forecasters say.  It's a bit windy and damp so far today, but I have put out some washing and hope it dries at least enough to be ironed.  It also feels curiously warm after the freezing weather, but I think it's actually about 10 degrees.

I ventured out last night to a parish council meeting discussing one of the many planning applications for development in the village.  Thank goodness common sense prevailed and a patently absurd application to set up a "Educatering" facility ??? on agricultural land was turned down.  This clearly turned out to be a food processing factory with the opportunity to show school parties around occasionally.  No matter how glossily the application was presented by the company, it was clear from the 70+ car parking places plus parking for lorries that the educating side of things was just a way of trying to make the application successful. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Let's hope February is an improvement. Feeling permanently fed-up. That's not normally "me".
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 15:08 GMT (UK) »
We had good old hooly here on Sunday night wind whipping round the house and rain battering the windows… Monday morning saw a sunny day so washing done and out on the line!
Today wet and dreary AGAIN! So time to give the house a good going over but I hate having to put lights on to see where to vacuum!
I think by the time it gets over to my side of the country ( East Midlands ) it’s mostly gone…
Mind you friends in St Lucia at the moment and they’re having rain in torrents… of course it’s a lot warmer… but rains rain and you can’t sit on the beach in it!
Hope for those further up the country don’t get it too bad with this next weather system 🤞🤞.

Take care everyone

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 16:30 GMT (UK) »
As promised, the wind increased this afternoon. Elizabeth, I'm on the NE coast too although a little further down, shortly after I posted we got the rain and it's been wet all day so haven’t managed my daily walk.  :-\

On a different topic altogether, I was amused to read that DPD had to disable their chatbot after it swore at a customer.  ;D ;D

BBC News - DPD error caused chatbot to swear at customer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68025677
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes it's never stopped raining here up North today
Looking on a brighter side I'm sitting down getting ready to watch Middlesbrough V Chelsea football
We have to cheer our Northern Teams
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Bin recycling day today so there’s lots of comments about bins being on speed awareness courses! We just watched out for them and then jumped outside with it, as attempt one before 7.30am resulted in it blowing over , despite being next to a fence to try to keep it upright. All round us have been out and brought them all back in so we can all relax now.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 11:30 GMT (UK) »
A lot of noise but no real damage from last night’s storm, thank goodness.
A mild bright day so I am going to the shops with my trusty trolley .

Just spoken to my friend whose son died very suddenly a few weeks ago.
She was bright and busy ,a strong no nonsense character.
I had to shorten the call as her doorbell rang.

Just been cutting up envelopes for shopping lists ,I am doing my but at saving the planet.

No news really but that can be good news by comparison !

An argument on TV re modern very big vehicles  reminded me of a snippet from The Reader’s Digest.
The writer described how he had to park - just a very short time - in a parent  and child bay, a woman in a huge Landrover type vehicle  was already parked
there.The man’s very elderly mother was with him but the Landrover had no children in it.
The Landrover mother opened her window and shouted “ This parking is for
parents and children !”
The man’s mother opened her  window and shouted “This is my son ,  I am his mother and  that is why we are parked here so where are your children that you think you can park here?

I like it!
Viktoria.