Author Topic: 1939 Clarification Please  (Read 379 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Clarification Please
« on: Tuesday 23 January 24 10:11 GMT (UK) »
This is s bit of a mess and I would appreciate an opinion.

In 1939, Jean Clarke; aged 14 and born in Rotherham, was living with her aunt Joyce Vernon (nee. Clarke), her husband Albert and two/possibly three children at Garden Head, Whitehough (near Chinley, Derbyshire). Jean's entry is below. The family is on a different page with, presumably Jean, redacted anda reference to the entry having been "re-entered on page 21". I said it was a bit of a mess and the address is wrong - Garden House rather than Garden Head!

As one might expect; I assume she married, the name Clark is crossed out and replaced by the names Parry, Stenton and Stenton but each of these is also crossed out. What I assume happened is that the original entry became unreadable ant the whole lot was reentered on "page 21". The writing is different and the revised entry is mostly with the same pen.

What I'm trying to establish is (i) in what order she might have married Parry, Stenton and Stenton - if indeed she married two Stentons, (ii) whether a marriage actually needed to take place in order for a name change to be entered in the 1939 and (iii) when and who were the three men involved but that might be a step too far.

The only other information I have is that there was probably a daughter born in 1945 in the Rotherham area to Stenton and another daughter born 1950, probably in ipswich, to Parry but I can't be 100% sure about either of them.

Help!

Online Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Clarification Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Jean Clarke m Herbert Stenton Rotherham q Dec 1944.

Comparing the handwriting, I would say that only the second "Stenton" is part of the amended record

Online Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Can you clarify the words in red, please?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 10:26 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 National Register became the NHS Register from 1948.
Changes of surname were recorded - but note that these were names by which the lady was known to the NHS.
Marriage is the most likely reason, but there may well be other reasons.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Familysearch - Yes, I'm assuming Herbert but, apart from a death in 2000, I can't be sure about him. If you compare the handwriting to that on the rest of the family, the whole entry was copied from the original and the second Stenton added later. .... but were there two Stentons and why are they both crossed out? The words in red make no sense to me either.

K Garrad - as I suspected ...... but what was she known as after all the names had been deleted?

R

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Getting somewhere - I've found a William Parry who died in Ipswich in 1997 - I think Jean died in North Walsham, Norfolk in 2000 - and, in 1939 William was in Rawmarsh, Rotherham, married to someone else.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the sequence is Jean married Herbert Stenton, then left him to live with a Mr Parry, and adopted his surname. They didn't marry because both were already married, but registered with NHS as Jean Parry. maybe she broke up with Mr Parry and then registered with NHS as Jean Stenton again (as she was still legally married to Herbert
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 11:42 GMT (UK) »
What I assume happened is that the original entry became unreadable ant the whole lot was reentered on "page 21". The writing is different and the revised entry is mostly with the same pen.

That is not right.  All of the entries in the last pages of each schedule are those that have been copied over because they ran out of space in the final column which recorded their medical details.  Each person kept their original household number.  It is unlikely that any of the other redacted entries are for the other people in her household unless they also ran out of space at the same time as she did.  None of them have a notation that their record was continued.

The words in red are 'Post Here', in other words, that is the postal address.

Debra  :)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the sequence is Jean married Herbert Stenton, then left him to live with a Mr Parry, and adopted his surname. They didn't marry because both were already married, but registered with NHS as Jean Parry. maybe she broke up with Mr Parry and then registered with NHS as Jean Stenton again (as she was still legally married to Herbert

Thanks. I'd buy that except that her death is registered as "Parry" (but I assume that was someone else's fault) and why is Stenton crossed out twice?

It might help is the original entry (with the family) wasn't redacted.