Author Topic: 1939 Clarification Please  (Read 380 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Clarification Please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 11:49 GMT (UK) »
A cousin of my father's married a woman who had been married four times previously. her entry in 1939 (just prior to her first marriage) is such a mess in its original place due to squeezing in all the amendments, that it was copied to a new page, when she married my relly. None of the people on her original page are at all connected to the entries near hers on the new page.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 11:50 GMT (UK) »
What I assume happened is that the original entry became unreadable ant the whole lot was reentered on "page 21". The writing is different and the revised entry is mostly with the same pen.

That is not right.  All of the entries in the last pages of each schedule are those that have been copied over because they ran out of space in the final column which recorded their medical details.  Each person kept their original household number.  It is unlikely that any of the other redacted entries are for the other people in her household unless they also ran out of space at the same time as she did.  None of them have a notation that their record was continued.

The words in red are 'Post Here', in other words, that is the postal address.

Debra  :)

By "final column", do you mean a further column on the right hand page which we can't see? There's nothing written on that bit of the right hand page that we can see.
R

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the sequence is Jean married Herbert Stenton, then left him to live with a Mr Parry, and adopted his surname. They didn't marry because both were already married, but registered with NHS as Jean Parry. maybe she broke up with Mr Parry and then registered with NHS as Jean Stenton again (as she was still legally married to Herbert

Thanks. I'd buy that except that her death is registered as "Parry" (but I assume that was someone else's fault) and why is Stenton crossed out twice?

It might help is the original entry (with the family) wasn't redacted.

there is something written above the second crossed out Stenton, mostly covered by the redaction above. Maybe this is intended to relate to Jean and is Parry re-instated
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 13:08 GMT (UK) »
By "final column", do you mean a further column on the right hand page which we can't see? There's nothing written on that bit of the right hand page that we can see.
R

Yes, we are not allowed to see the last column.  As she was born in 1925 I wouldn't be surprised if the copied entry is visable because a note has been made there about her death.   Seems a bit late though if she died in 2005.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 13:42 GMT (UK) »
My aunt died in 1997, born 1935 and she is still redacted, because if still alive she would be under 100. She married twice so maybe FindMyPast didn't connect the two marriages to the same person. I am not surprised with all the confusion in Jean's record the second record wasn't connected to the original.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 14:09 GMT (UK) »
R

Yes, we are not allowed to see the last column.  As she was born in 1925 I wouldn't be surprised if the copied entry is visable because a note has been made there about her death.   Seems a bit late though if she died in 2005.

I'm assuming the death in 2005 is correct. Everything else I have points to Norfolk, the deceased was "Parry" and the DoB is the same as on the 1939. It would be a bit of a co-incidence if it wasn't her.