Author Topic: Edward John Jewitt  (Read 680 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward John Jewitt
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 January 24 16:11 GMT (UK) »
River Tyne Lass,

Thank you so much!  The name of the paper and its date was enough for me to find this item which is a clearer version of what you provided.

I am amazed that there is nothing I have been able to find on an inquest or Police involvement and that the body was buried only 2 days later.  I am even more surprised that there was no apparent newspaper follow up on what must have been sensational news at the time.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 January 24 16:20 GMT (UK) »
River Tyne Lass,
Sorry, I forgot to add the clearer version of the press report - which I would not have found without your brilliant help.

Thanks also to AlanBoyd, Millipede and Dundee for their valued help

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 January 24 16:25 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.

Yes, I couldn't see mention of an inquest either but perhaps I missed something.  I agree that usually you would expect to see a follow up inquest report in such circumstances.  It is strange to have an omission.

Oh yes, that is a much better attachment than the one  obtained from Newcastle City library on microfilm.  Have you tried the Journal online?  I think I recall the library didn't have the dates.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 January 24 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I have tried absolutely everywhere I could think of.  My copy came from the British National Press archive but I wouldn't have found it without the name and date of the paper that you provided.

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 January 24 16:55 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have it, there is a newspaper article - The Consett Guardian 4 Dec 1908 about the death of the second son of John Jewitt of the Miners' Arms Inn, Medomsley. His name was George and he died age 27 as a result of ptomaine poisoning which turned into jaundice, from eating three pork pies at a chrysanthemum show in Corbridge. He was buried at Medomsley Churchyard.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 January 24 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought .. could there be some missing editions of the Durham papers of BNA.
I saw was a big story on there once about my ancestor several years ago and then a few years later an even more detailed article popped up about same incident which I hadn't know existed.  So perhaps BNA may not be showing all that may exist somewhere.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 January 24 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, haliared

I did see that story and thought it tragic and a possible contributory factor to the suicide - but that seems unlikely since it happened 22 years earlier.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 January 24 23:47 GMT (UK) »
To River Tyne Lass,

I have looked at all these papers for a month or so after the death and I can find nothing.  It may be that the family convinced the authorities that it was a suicide and no need for an Inquest or it may be that influence of some sort was used to avoid one - although that is hard to believe since the story reached the press.  I will just have to wait until the County Records Office re-opens so that I can view the burial records.