Author Topic: Edward John Jewitt  (Read 679 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward John Jewitt
« on: Tuesday 23 January 24 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Edward John Jewitt was born in 1875 and died on 16th March 1930 at Medomsley in County Durham which I believe was in the registration district of Lanchester at that time.  At the time of his death he was a publican at the Miners Arms Inn in Medomsley village.

I would really like to know where he was buried but I cannot find a record of him in the village church.  The notification of his death suggests he was buried only three days after his death and also suggests burial was in the village.

Can anyone help with a location of his grave?  He died of a gunshot wound so this may have been a burial in unhallowed ground (if it was a case of suicide) but although there are press reports of his death, I can find no reference to a Coroner's Enquiry or to Police involvement.  Many thanks.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward John Jewitt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I haven’t found a burial, but it seems that he was Edward James Jewitt.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 19:40 GMT (UK) »
A funeral notice in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of 17th March simply says that he died 'suddenly' and "Interment Medomsley Wednesday March 19th."

At Durham Records Online the burial record says St Mary Magdalene, Medomsley, 19th March.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 01:09 GMT (UK) »
AlanBoyd,

Yes, I have seen the Edward James version and the John Edward version too but his death was registered as Edward John and his wife referred to him as Edward John - as did the licensing authorities when he was taking over the licenses of various pubs and clubs,  Strange!

There are three Jewitts with headstones in the Churchyard at St Mary Magdalene and all of them died within a few years of him but he has no headstone which is hard to understand as he was not a poor man.  Unless the suicide possibility prevented him from having one - but that seems odd, even if he was buried in unhallowed ground.

His body was found in the hayloft of the pub's stable with a bullet wound in the chest and a revolver lying near the body.  I have found a couple of references to that but no mention of suicide or murder and no mention of Police involvement; no mention of an inquest and burial just 3 days after his death.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 02:18 GMT (UK) »

Yes, I have seen the Edward James version and the John Edward version too but his death was registered as Edward John and his wife referred to him as Edward John

His death was registered as Edward James, not Edward John.  The death certificate will tell you if there was an inquest.

JEWITT, EDWARD  JAMES
Aged 55 
GRO Reference: 1930  M Quarter in LANCHESTER  Volume 10A  Page 362

He was born Edward James, his mother's maiden surname being JAMES, and his will was written as Edward James.

He is also Edward James in 1921.

Debra  :)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 07:21 GMT (UK) »
In the 1926 newspaper report of the transfers of the Ox Inn, Oxhill from EJJ and the Miner's Arms, Medomsley to EJJ, the previous licensee of the Miner's Arms was EJJ's father John Jewitt.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dundee,

Strange as it is, I can accept that.  My own mother's name was Doreen but all her life she was known as Betty.  I have no idea why but that's a fact.  So I can accept the Edward James as his "real" name.

I did not know that the Inquest (if there was one) would be on his actual death certificate.  I thought that would have been a totally different record which was totally separate and the cause of death would show as gunshot wound or something similar.

I am a little out of my depth here as my normal area of interest is in the buildings more than the people!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Actual details of the inquest won't be on the death certificate itself, just a note if there was one. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 January 24 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Elliven, I got you this attachment the other evening on way home.  Sorry that the quality is not good and it only shows black and white on microfilm.  It is from Evening Chronicle 17th March 1930. Hope you can make it out.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner