Author Topic: Advice or Suggestions Welcomed  (Read 654 times)

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice or Suggestions Welcomed
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 24 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you may already have investigated, but what is wrong with the Joseph Hibbert baptised in Stockport in 1799? It is just on the border of Lancashire, and could the word be South in the 1851 census? Being very speculative. South Reddish?
Happy Hunting.
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 January 24 10:26 GMT (UK) »
If you have not tried already it might be worthwhile trying alternative spellings?

The name Hawthornthwaite stood out for me as a close friend’s mother had a similar birth surname but hers was spelt Heythornthwaite and they came from the Lune Valley area of Lancashire here in England.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 24 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you may already have investigated, but what is wrong with the Joseph Hibbert baptised in Stockport in 1799? It is just on the border of Lancashire, and could the word be South in the 1851 census? Being very speculative. South Reddish?
Happy Hunting.

Thanks, yes, I have looked at this one.  Nothing to entirely rule him out (the baptism does say they lived in Stockport), but nothing conclusive although he is the best match for age.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 January 24 12:21 GMT (UK) »
If you have not tried already it might be worthwhile trying alternative spellings?

The name Hawthornthwaite stood out for me as a close friend’s mother had a similar birth surname but hers was spelt Heythornthwaite and they came from the Lune Valley area of Lancashire here in England.
[/quote

Yes I have checked the different spellings, nothing jumped out.  Someone once told me the locals pronounced it Hathwait so I have looked at that too.

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 January 24 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes you are correct, though if we are looking at the same record it is a diocesan record so Stockport may just be referring to the parish they are recorded in, not there place of residence. I have quite a few ancestors baptised in their mother’s parish a long way from where they were living. And some of the travelled 30 miles to go to worship! Given it is a brick wall, I would be inclined to build a tree for the family, if you have not already done so. I have done so for various interesting families of people of the same surname as ones I know are related, and Ancestry DNA has then said there is a match and I have then been able to prove the link by documentary evidence. If I had not done that speculative tree building, I would never have looked in the right places.
Happy Hunting.
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside