Author Topic: Uniform identification from photo  (Read 754 times)

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniform identification from photo
« on: Tuesday 23 January 24 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for uniform identification from photo. Not even sure it is a military uniform.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification from photo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is an army uniform. Looks to be an officer.
But if you want any chance at identification you need to generate a much higher resolution scan.
Particularly of the collar badges, and of the helmet badge.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 11:23 GMT (UK) »
The Sam Browne belt suggests 1900 or later. Looks out of place with late 19th century uniform.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked the Army Dress Regulations for Officers 1913, and nowhere does it authorise the wearing of a Sam Browne with Full Dress or Undress Uniform, which is what this chap is wearing. The only time I've come across this is during sword drill, or rehearsal parades (eg at Sandhurst) where swords are carried.

There is a reference on Wikipedia (fourth paragraph of this section of the article) which says the wearing of the Sam Browne was authorised for officers and WO1s by the Australian Army 'on ceremonial occasions' but at no point does the article or the source document mention either Full Dress, Undress or No1 uniform, so I think that's a red herring. That statement would also apply to the British Army where No2 dress was worn on parade.

Given that this would appear to be an unauthorised form of dress, perhaps the photograph is not of a real soldier/officer, or is some sort of fancy dress or stage costume.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:18 GMT (UK) »
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/53691420531775971/

doing a web search for above phot brings this up a soldier I thik in same uniform

Brilliant picture of Private William Roy (1st battalion 24th Regiment of foot) He was in Hospital with Malaria and fought throughout the battle and for his actions was awarded the DCM (Distinguished
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:29 GMT (UK) »
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/53691420531775971/

doing a web search for above phot brings this up a soldier I thik in same uniform
Not really the 'same' uniform unfortunately. Yes, it's a dress tunic like the one in the OP's photo, but not from the same regiment. Note the different piping on the lower sleeves, different facings (collar) and different plate (badge) on the helmet. Most Infantry regiments wore a version of this tunic at the end of the nineteenth century.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:38 GMT (UK) »
shucks  sorry must get my eyes tested ;D ;D
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Would agree that this is probably some sort of fancy dress or stage costume.
If the photo is originally taken in colour, then most likely after WW2.
The pose, with two hands on the belt is very unusual for a soldier portrait.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I thought it colorized.
If really an original color photo, then has to be from a much later period.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area