Author Topic: Another gritty problem  (Read 210 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another gritty problem
« on: Wednesday 24 January 24 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora

I have two marriages as below.  One of those two couples had two children: Elizabeth Snatchell 28 March 1675, John Snatchell 2 February 1676.  Both at St Denys, Rotherfield, East Sussex

The variations in the surname are considerable...  How can I possibly find who are the parents of the above two children?

John Snashall (1651) married Elizabeth Theakston 1 February 1673 St Denys, Rotherfield, East Sussex 

John Snatchell (1651) married Elizabeth Shaw 1 April 1673 Thakeham, Sussex
Those who witnessed the marriage of John Snashall and Elizabeth Shaw 1 April 1673 in Thakeham listed above included: John Longhurst, Rich Shaw, John Snashfold snr. John Snashfold junior, Hannah Shaw, Sarah Rowland, John Shaw, Richard Snashfold, Elizabeth Rowland (I have a document that has this on it) all of whom appear in our family tree.

Any help appreciated
Bronwen
Otautahi
Aotearoa

Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another gritty problem
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Do I understand you to mean that the SHAW marriage witnesses are all people you recognise. And so it ought to be that couple.

But because the THEAKSTON marriage was the one at St Denys, where the baptisms were you feel it ought to be that couple?

It is a 12 hour walk from Thakeham to Rotherfield so perfectly feasible - less than a day's horse ride.
Do you have witnesses for the THEAKSTON marriage?

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another gritty problem
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes they are all names connected to parts of my family tree.

Yes the births in St Denys made me think it was the Theakstone marriage. 
No I don't have witnesses at all. 

I did investigate whether one wife had died and he married the other but I couldn't find anything for that.
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh