Author Topic: Ronald Smith Fornication Penalty 1824 Skye of Curr Scotland  (Read 439 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Smith Fornication Penalty 1824 Skye of Curr Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 24 09:19 GMT (UK) »
The Isle of Man has preserved Ecclesiastical Presentments, including those for Fornication.

Presentments were accusations of offences against Ecclesiastical law made by the wardens or chapter quest of each parish to the twice-yearly church courts held around Easter and November. Family historians will be familiar with them as a common crime presented, was that of fornication, as proved by the appearance of an illegitimate child, both mother and putative father, where known, were presented. Fornication was illicit sexual relationship by an unmarried party, adultery was an illicit relationship by a married party.
(Taken from ManxNoteBook)

The guilty lady was "persuaded" to name the putative father, of face a fine.

Maybe such evidence is available in other areas?
N.B. Most are not online. Maybe in Diocesan Archives?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 January 24 09:36 GMT (UK) »
The Isle of Man has preserved Ecclesiastical Presentments, including those for Fornication.

Presentments were accusations of offences against Ecclesiastical law made by the wardens or chapter quest of each parish to the twice-yearly church courts held around Easter and November. Family historians will be familiar with them as a common crime presented, was that of fornication, as proved by the appearance of an illegitimate child, both mother and putative father, where known, were presented. Fornication was illicit sexual relationship by an unmarried party, adultery was an illicit relationship by a married party.
(Taken from ManxNoteBook)

The guilty lady was "persuaded" to name the putative father, of face a fine.

Maybe such evidence is available in other areas?
N.B. Most are not online. Maybe in Diocesan Archives?

In Scotland the equivalent is the minutes of the kirk session for each parish which can give a great deal of information about cases of fornication. Unfortunately, in this particular case the parish must have kept a separate discipline register which is either lost  or not available online. At least the accounts book is available and that contained the reference to the payment of a penalty for fornication which led to the discovery of the baptism.

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 24 11:11 GMT (UK) »
First; yes, great research Monica which I will follow up with great interest - thank you very much for tracking down this Alexander Smith. I have a feeling he will turn out to be the person of interest in this instance but will look for more evidence before firming up - will report back once I get a chance (I am having to turn now to work commitments through gritted teeth.)

Thank you to everyone for the fascinating discussion on how extramarital heterosexual relationships and illegitimate children were dealt with in recent history and the records available. I’ve some thoughts but need to pause now in order to earn a crust..
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire