Author Topic: WW2 house requisition  (Read 184 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 house requisition
« on: Wednesday 24 January 24 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this - I've been researching a Georgian era house and its inhabitants. I was made aware that the house was requisitioned at some point in WW2 and used to house Italian officers. The main hall on the village estate (Shardlow Hall) was used to house most of the soldiers but the officers were allowed to live in some local houses. There is very little formal information about this available.

I had some contact from someone who was able to identify to provide some limited details of the PoW camp a few years ago. There is very little information available. One of the former officers came back to visit in later life with his family and a previous owner shared this story along with ammunition finds in the garden!

The owners and occupants in the 1939 list obviously had to move out at some point during the war. The Italians may have stayed until 1946 I believe. I wonder what records may exist that relate to this requisition and where I might find them.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 house requisition
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 10:10 GMT (UK) »
A previous thread related to Shardlow Hall.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806900.27
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY