Author Topic: Translation Help Please  (Read 148 times)

Offline k_faz22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Translation Help Please
« on: Wednesday 24 January 24 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 Can anyone point me in the direction as to how to get this document translated or can anyone translate it for me.
Its regarding a Edward Hugh Davies b 1881 died 1917
Thank you so much everyone
Tidbury
Cassels
Warhurst
Rodger
McDermott
Sweeney
Farren
Mclaughlin

Offline k_faz22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Translation Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 12:49 GMT (UK) »
http://www.llaisogwan.com/papur%20mehefin%202020.pdf

The original article is on this link if that helps more due to rootschat upload size I have had issue trying to size it.
Tidbury
Cassels
Warhurst
Rodger
McDermott
Sweeney
Farren
Mclaughlin

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to google!

In last year's March issue I told the story of William Parry (Butcher). His daughter, Mair Jones (Parry), from Windsor had sent me a story telling me the story of her father fighting in the First World War, in part c 'Allenby's March' in Jerusalem, in 1917. Then in January this year I received a wrong letter Mr John Ffrancon Davies, he has lived in Windsor for many years, but originally from Bethesda, and receives the Voice regularly. In his letter he told the story of his grandfather, Edward Hugh Davies, private 356018, who had joined the 25th Montgomeryshire & Welsh Yeomanry Battalion, R.W.F. on the 22nd of August 1914. Edward Hugh Davies was originally from Bangor, and he married a girl called Margaret Ann Davies, from Rhyd-y-Groes, Pentir. Six children were born to them, with three of them living for a large part of their lives in Bethesda, namely Annie Mary (Braichmelyn and Glanffrydlas), Hugh (2 Maes Coetmor) and Emlyn, father of John Ffrancon Davies, (24, Maes Coetmor) . In his letter Mr Davies reports that his grandfather was killed on the 30th of November, 1917, aged 36, in a battle about 10 miles outside of Jerusalem. Edward Hugh Davies is buried in the Jerusalem War Cemetery, and this inscription is on his tombstone. "He has made a covenant with me by his sacrifice Psalm 50 (5) (He has made a covenant with me through his sacrifice).

During the year 1915, Edward had an injury to his hand, and he had to spend some time in Creek Hospital, Alexandria.

In 'Y Llan' March 15, 1918, p.4, we find this report. "MISSING.- There is so far no specific information on the whereabouts of Private Edward Hugh Davies, Rhydygroes, Pentir. Whether he is in prison wounded in an infirmary, or something else. His wife and family and many friends for him, naturally, in no small concern because of this. The area is in deep sympathy with all the family, and expects favorable news every day. Our general wish is to see him return back, and that soon."

John Ffrancon Davies' grandmother had sent to the authorities asking for information about her husband, and after a short time the following letter was received from them. The letter

written by Sergeant Varley, reports

the story of her husband's death. "Dear Madam, I regret to say your husband was killed near me, he never spoke shot through the head, and I laid by his side for 9 hours as we could not move. He was a very brave and good soldier, and we are very sorry to lose him. Sympathy with you in your loss".

Then on May 10, 1918, in 'Y Llan' p. 4, the report here about Edward Hugh Davies' memorial service can be seen. PENTIR, MEMORIAL SERVICE.- "

A memorial service was held for Edward Hugh Davies, Rhyd-y-groes, a loyal soldier since 1914. He joined the ranks voluntarily at the beginning of the current terrible war. He belonged to the 6th Batt. R.W.F. He was out in the Dardanelles and Gallipoli, where he suffered from 'enteric'. Having recovered to his health, he joined the 25th Batt. R.W.F. He went out with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force. He was in battles in Gaza and the banks of the Lorddonen. He lost his life in Palestine, November 30th 1917. His mortal remains were given to lie in the 'Holy Land' by his companions respectfully, and he was 37 years old, until the landing of the 3 trumpets of the resurrection. St Kedol's Church was packed on Thursday night, St. Marc, 25th anniversary, of his friends, relatives, and acquaintances, in the parish of Pentir. They came from all over the parish to pay respect to his memory, and to magnify the sacrifice he made for the freedom of his country.

He was a member of Pentir Church, and a faithful worker with the Sunday School. We well remember Davies taking a leading part with the Revival in 1905. His whole heart was in the movement, and no one did more than him in the prayer meetings in Glasinfryn. He deeply mourns his loving wife and six small children. May heaven be their peace. The service was choral: four hymns, and the hundred on "This hour Lord let your servant go". Mrs Herbert Jones playing the instrument. The Reverend took part. Herbert Jones, J. H. Parry, D. T. Williams (C.M.) A very capable address was delivered by Reverend H. Jones, from LL Tim. II. 2."

Mr. Davies draws attention to the fact that William Parry and his grandfather, Edward Hugh Davies, had both been fighting in the Middle East at around the same time, and that he and Mair Jones (Parry) both, throughout - event, living in Windsor all

years later.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline k_faz22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that. Been trying for weeks with google but I just couldn’t get it to do the same. Thank you
Tidbury
Cassels
Warhurst
Rodger
McDermott
Sweeney
Farren
Mclaughlin