Author Topic: Florence HANLON, (Hobart)  (Read 975 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence HANLON, (Hobart)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 January 24 03:59 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of deaths in Greenock that could be Margaret. I had a quick look for an immigration for John and James, tricky as such common names. Will have another look.

Challenging for a widowed man to immigrate to Australia from Scotland with a young boy.
If John  was registered to vote in Melbourne in 1912,  the boy would be no older than 10 or 11 years at that time.

This makes me think they may have come as a family unit and she left/died/ after so that he is seen with "Florrie" by 1914.

Noting that when John Brown McLachlan married in NSW, on the Parish Register he has taken a couple of years off his true age. He was actually closer to 30 than 26.  His bride 18 years.

Sue

ADDING further  observations.

James Brown McLACHLAN, a labourer, lives at his father's 1 Gladstone St. address in 1927 and 1931, the same year as his marriage. His marriage certificate, as noted states he is a manufacturer, so another porky :D

Noteworthy or not?...the certificate also show that Edith's father is deceased by the note "deceased" next to it .
There is no such note beside James' mother's name.
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 January 24 05:24 GMT (UK) »
I meant to add yesterday this item from trove - a Florrie HANLON in trouble for "assaulting" her niece Rene CARR in 1904 in South Melbourne. I wondered if this was supposed to be Irene CARRAHER? It may be someone else entirely.  :-\
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10317536?searchTerm=%22florrie%20hanlon%22

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 January 24 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Another article from Brisbane in 1909 about someone who called herself "Florrie HANLON", had previously been in trouble in Melbourne, and now in trouble in Brisbane as "Florence TOBOLKA".
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/19588047

However, this is not "your" Florrie HANLON, as Florence and Franz TOBOLKA (mentioned in the above article) are in Brisbane in later electoral rolls when Florrie McLACHLAN is in Melbourne.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 January 24 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Oh goodness, that's not good, I am not sure where Rene may fit in, I will have to do some more research....to see if she may be the Florrie.

Thank you maddys52.

Regards

Cienna.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 January 24 08:27 GMT (UK) »
An on-line tree suggests that Sarah Jane Hanlon is one of 10 children (all apparently born in Hobart) of Henry Louie Hanlon and Sarah Quinn and Florence Hanlon is her sister.  Sarah Jane married James Carraher in 1886. Their first child was Irene Mary Carraher.

Electoral Roll 1903
James Carraher, seaman labourer  and Sarah Jane Elizabeth Carraher home duties, at 106 Cobden St South Melbourne

So, putting two and two together it seems likely that the newspaper report of  the altercation may well be correct. 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 January 24 08:47 GMT (UK) »
And Irene's brother Walter James CARRAHER died at Florence's place in 1929 see reply #5, which is why I thought the "assault" story may be related. However, there is a Rene CARR also mentioned in Melbourne around this time too.  :-\

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 January 24 21:04 GMT (UK) »

Very confusing family, I have been researching Florence (Florrie) and maybe just maybe she could be the Florrie whom assaulted her niece Irene, will look into a bit sure before adding the info.

I have come across a few of the CARRAHER family changing their name to CARR, this where I became very confused with the CARR name coming up.

Going back to Margaret, I too have been unable to find what happened to her, if she left and remarried then it will be hard to find her having a new surname....
Thank you everyone for your info.

Regards

Cienna.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 January 24 01:36 GMT (UK) »

Going back to Margaret, I too have been unable to find what happened to her, if she left and remarried then it will be hard to find her having a new surname....
Thank you everyone for your info.

Regards

Cienna.

A mother leaving her husband AND child is less usual than just a wife leaving a husband.

James Brown McLachlan was only 10 years old when we find John the shipwright as the only registered voter of the surname McLachlan in 1912, South Melbourne.

Questions,
Where was little James at that time ?
Was Florence possibly 'the other woman"?
Did she become "mum" to the boy?

We have not located a marriage for Florence and John.
Is that because John was still married the living Margaret?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 January 24 03:56 GMT (UK) »

James CARRAHER married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Sarah HANLON, there is no Sarah Jane on the family I am helping....they have Elizabeth Sarah marrying the said Jams CARRAHER.

They married... 28 Oct 1882, S.S. St. Peter and Paul's Church, South Melbourne, Victoria

They are said to have had 14 children, losing a few in early childhood.

Cienna.