Author Topic: Ronald James McDonnell  (Read 1019 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ronald James McDonnell
« on: Thursday 25 January 24 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, this is a long shot as I dont have a date or place of birth. However, ff you bear with me you will see why I have posted here.

Ronald James McDonnell joined the territorial army in 1928 and the regular army in 1933. Assuming that he was at least 16 in 1928 its fairly safe to say that he is no longer alive. He joined a regiment that was based in Edinburgh and, with his name, I am guessing that he was born in Scotland. A search of FindMyPast has not helped so I was hoping that others might have access to Scottish or other records.
Its not a common full name and I think that he retired from the army in the mid 1950s so its unlikely that he was born much before 1890. This information perhaps opens a DoB window of 1890 to about 1912.

Thanks,
Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald James McDonnell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 24 14:48 GMT (UK) »
He could have been born in Ireland

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Glenshesk/Craigban/113030/

so I was hoping that others might have access to Scottish or other records.

Did you search www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk if you thought he was born in Scotland?

Where does he fit into your FH?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 24 14:57 GMT (UK) »
possibly him?

Supplement to The London Gazette, 17 January, 1946, Awards of the Burma Star

787661 Warrant Officer Class I (acting) Ronald James MCDONNELL, Royal Regiment of Artillery (Manchester, 14)
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 24 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I checked Scotlands People and there are no middle name matches. Theres one who fits without the middle name. I hadn't condiered the Irish possibility and the person you identified had a brother James and we know that families like favourite names. However, the other brothers have their middle names shown.

He's a very distant relative who was awarded an MBE in 1946.
Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 24 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Was just about to post that the same man awarded the Burma Star was awarded MBE in 1946, so definitely him.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 24 15:00 GMT (UK) »
possibly him?

Supplement to The London Gazette, 17 January, 1946, Awards of the Burma Star

787661 Warrant Officer Class I (acting) Ronald James MCDONNELL, Royal Regiment of Artillery (Manchester, 14)

Our mails crossed. Thats him but it doesnt help re DoB etc and shows he was living in Manchester at the time.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 24 15:06 GMT (UK) »
When & where did he die?  If it was in England from 1969 onwards his full birthdate will be shown
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 24 15:40 GMT (UK) »
When & where did he die?  If it was in England from 1969 onwards his full birthdate will be shown

Unfortunately, I dont know.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 24 15:49 GMT (UK) »
There is also the possibility he was born abroad if his father was also a serving officer