Author Topic: Ronald James McDonnell  (Read 1021 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald James McDonnell
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
He's a very distant relative who was awarded an MBE in 1946.

So where does his line start within your FH as it may be possible to trace him that way
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 January 24 15:57 GMT (UK) »
There is also the possibility he was born abroad if his father was also a serving officer

True. As you can see I have very little information and am trying to reduce the possibilites. Of course, his army service record will give a place and DoB but without knowing his death date the MOD will not issue
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 24 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I had expected to at least identify him from one of the various global geneaolgy databases but so far no luck.
I would be happy to apply for his service record (and then wait the year it can take for them to issue it) but I dont have the information the MOD requires for that process to start.
I have his address in Manchester from 1946 but I dont think that will get me very far.
Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 January 24 18:06 GMT (UK) »

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 January 24 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Paul, you say in your last post you have his address in 1946-to when in Manchester. Have you been able to check any electoral registers for that address and does it record a wife/possible partner.

SS

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 January 24 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Paul, you say in your last post you have his address in 1946-to when in Manchester. Have you been able to check any electoral registers for that address and does it record a wife/possible partner.

SS

I have not checked the Manchester electoral registers. Is this possible on-line?

Paul

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 January 24 11:16 GMT (UK) »
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7387264

Don't know if you have this? If you set up an account it is free or you can purchase it online for £3.50
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 January 24 13:48 GMT (UK) »
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7387264

Don't know if you have this? If you set up an account it is free or you can purchase it online for £3.50

Thanks. I had already seen this document.

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 January 24 12:31 GMT (UK) »
There is an image of Royal Artillery Tracer Card 787661 McDonnell James (Robert on card ). Enlistment date 3 Jul 1933 Discharged 15 Jan 1955 available  from Forces War Records.    Working on how to reduce image size for attachment.