Author Topic: Help please with confusing baptism 1867  (Read 367 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please with confusing baptism 1867
« on: Thursday 25 January 24 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been looking for children for Edward Robinson and his wife Alice Bland, who married in 1859 in Lancaster, he was a breaksman on the railway. Edward was born in 1830 in Brighouse, Yorkshire, baptised in Slaithwaite, Yorkshire and wife Alice was born in Overton, Lancashire.

I had already found Elizabeth Robinson 1860-61 and Robert Henry Robinson in 1864 in baptisms in Preston and I was looking for another one to fill the gap between 1864 and 1869 when Alice remarried to John Fisher in Lancaster. (cannot find Edward’s death!)

I found a baptism in Orton, Westmorland, that stated that James Pye Robinson was the son of Edward and Alice and that he was born 14 May 1867 and died 14 Aug 1867, the baptism was attributed to FamilySearch. I do realise that FS is not necessarily wholly reliable, so I double checked with the GRO.

I looked for the death first and found one for James Pye Robinson in Sep 1867 in East Ward district, but when I purchased it I found that he died on 11 Aug 1967, aged 3 months, in Tebay, Orton and his parents were James Robinson, railway engine driver, and his wife Isabella. So I looked for a birth and found one for James Robinson in Jun 1867 in East Ward district, when I purchased it I found that he was born 28 Mar 1867 in railway cottages, Tebay, Orton and his parents were Edward Robinson and Alice, formerly Bland.

So what should I do now? Should I ditch the FS transcript as false? Help please!
Helen

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with confusing baptism 1867
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 24 19:34 GMT (UK) »
The indexed FS entry on FindMyPast for James son of Edward & Alice  has 14th May as baptism date, not birth date

Blowed if I can find the images for those prs.  They are supposed to be on FindMyPast according to FS
But I can only see indexes

Who notified the death in August?

Added…Bishops transcripts viewable at an LDS centre

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/477647?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 24 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A possible death entry for James,

17 August 1867
Westmoreland Gazette, Kendal

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 24 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your replies. Oops! Slight finger trouble on the baptism, thanks for mentioning it mckha.

Thanks for the snippet, Daisy, it does make more sense for my James. I did wonder if the GRO had two James side by side in their records and only indexed one of them, or maybe that happened when the local office sent their quarterly returns?

Think I will check the local office and see if they have more. Thanks for your input guys.
Helen

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Update
the local office were unable to help as they did not have the facilities to do a search and they did not have an online index. However, actually talking it through with them has sorted out my thoughts on the matter.

I have a theory that as Edward did have a brother James (who I have been unable to trace), that the two fathers were brothers and they had sons at a similar date that also died within days of each other in the same village. As they were both called very similar names, I think that they might have got confused with each other when the births were copied to the GRO and only one birth and one death were indexed.

As the boys are only a sideline of mine, I think that it will have to remain a theory.
thanks for all your help
Helen

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 14:18 GMT (UK) »
As they were both called very similar names, I think that they might have got confused with each other when the births were copied to the GRO and only one birth and one death were indexed.

It is quite possible that only one of them was registered and the parents of the other did not bother.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie
agreed, but I have found evidence of both being at least partially registered, so they might have forgotten to complete the process - rather than it was a mix up at the GRO.
Helen