Author Topic: bwhen you gett adopted [ 1940]irth date when adopted  (Read 315 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bwhen you gett adopted [ 1940]irth date when adopted
« on: Friday 26 January 24 08:34 GMT (UK) »
when you get adopted [ 1940 ] will the birthday stay the same ? and if you are born a certain place will that stay the same or will it be birth place as to where you were adopted , like if born durham but adopted in london what will it say on birth certificate as place of birth thanks

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: bwhen you gett adopted [ 1940]irth date when adopted
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 24 08:52 GMT (UK) »
On the birth certificate I bought, the birth details are as others, with the word Adopted added by a different hand. I also have babies adopted by other members of the family without any formal paperwork.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 24 09:10 GMT (UK) »
yes but do the birth date stay the same along with birth place or are they changed

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 24 09:28 GMT (UK) »
The original birth entry ( if you know the birth name and get a copy) will have the same information as any other - but will be marked as "adopted" in the margin.

After the adoption a certificate is issued from the ACR (Adopted Children Register). That will have the same date of birth, but the place of birth may only be shown as a country e.g. England, or later it may give the registration district. If it is a full copy it will also have details of the court authorising the adoption and the names of the adoptive parents.

Adopted children were usually given, or use, the short version of the ACR certificate because that makes no reference to adoption.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 24 09:34 GMT (UK) »
thank you but can not find either his original birth or adopted birth we know his adopted name also his bio name

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 24 09:37 GMT (UK) »
thank you but can not find either his original birth or adopted birth we know his adopted name also his bio name

The ACR index is not available on-line and is completely separate from the usual birth index. You can look at it, but only on microfiche at a small number of major libraries.

If you know the original birth name then that should be in the birth index - if you want to send me the info you have (by PM) I'll be able to advise further.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 January 24 09:45 GMT (UK) »
thank you i will send info now