Author Topic: Coroner Inquest Jane Bromley  (Read 345 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coroner Inquest Jane Bromley
« on: Friday 26 January 24 11:45 GMT (UK) »
 Hello
Jane Bromley died February 1869 age 38  .  An inquest was held into her death. On the death Certificate it says inquest held 25 Feb 1869. Cause of death i cant quite make out but it says accelerated by want of sufficient food after Labour .
She was buried 28 Feb1869 in Camden London . Address at death 4 Circus Road London. I wonder if the inquest  might be recorded in a newspaper?

thank you .

Offline theirchild

• RootsChat Extra
  • "A little thanks goes a long way."
    • View Profile
Re: Coroner Inquest Jane Bromley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 24 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi tempogold,

I can't see anything about Jane's inquest in the British Newspaper Archive (BNA), unfortunately.

I was going to suggest Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre but it would seem that the only newspaper held by them, covering 1869, is the St Pancras Gazette (1866-1939) - an identical holding to the BNA, so maybe that particular newspaper didn't publish anything about the Inquest.

Some Coroners' records are at the London Metropolitan Archives and their "Research Guide 41: Coroners records for London and Middlesex" is at: 

https://search.lma.gov.uk/SCRIPTS/MWIMAIN.DLL/162010144/2/2/65?RECORD&UNION=Y

Perhaps you could email them for confirmation as to whether or not they hold the relevant documentation. Their email address (and other contact details) are at:

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/london-metropolitan-archives/about-lma/contact-lma

In the meantime, you might wish to try posting a snip of the Death Certificate's "Cause of Death" section to Rootschat's Handwriting Deciphering Board, in case anyone can help with the bit you can't quite make out - because that could possibly throw some more light on the circumstances surrounding Jane's death.

Good luck,

theirchild
Rootschat is free. Saying "thanks" also costs nothing.

"Gratitude is the sign of a noble soul."
- Aesop

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom."
- Henry Ward Beecher
--------------------------
NAME INTERESTS

ANDERSON: Shoreditch, Bethnal Grn & Glasgow
AVIS: Mayfield & Rotherfield
BASSETT: Mayfield, Rotherfield, Wadhurst, Ticehurst, Tunbridge Wells & nearby
MANN: Stepney & Shoreditch
MILLS: Shoreditch
RUSSELL: Mayfield & Burwash
SCHOLTZ: Islington & Kentish Town
WITT: Christchurch & nearby (Hants)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coroner Inquest Jane Bromley
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 24 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank You so much for all the information.