Author Topic: Cleanup for Hurling Team  (Read 828 times)

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
Re: Cleanup for Hurling Team
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 24 19:11 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting the newspaper where the photo appeared. Maybe they have an original copy of the photo itself somewhere in their archives. You never know...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 24 22:25 GMT (UK) »
There is a program based on Fast Fourier Transform which we used to use to remove the markings  in newspaper images (see some e.gs in the old restores)   I don't have it any more and can't recall what the actual program was called.

I think Peter has a copy (or did have). Also there maybe an updates of the program.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 24 22:50 GMT (UK) »
There's this one that works with Photoshop

http://ft.rognemedia.no/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Johnny I would ring the Waterford Star. 2009 is not that long ago. They may still have the original.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 09:50 GMT (UK) »
The FFT filter that Gadget mentions is available within a free download of the app, "ImageJ". (Just google it.) Results are always a bit hit and miss. I tried it on johnnyjumpup's photo (both versions) and the results were not great. I spent a fair bit of time working on the photo but my effort wasn't worth posting.

Johnny, I think Rami's (lord74) version might be a good compromise unless you can get a better original as suggested by dublin1850.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline johnnyjumpup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I really appreciate it so much. Thank you for all your efforts and for all the suggestions.

I am certainly going to follow up on all of them.
Kindest regards to all.
johnnyjumpup