Author Topic: Percy died and the family were untraceable?  (Read 418 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Percy died and the family were untraceable?
« on: Friday 26 January 24 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm after a bit of help in interpreting army docs from WW1 in relation to Private Percy Edgar Gibbs  G/22590 who was killed in action with the 8th Batallion Buffs/East Kent regiment 10 Aug 1917. Memorialised on Menin Gate.

There's no service or pension record on ancestry/FindMyPast

His "soldier's effects" record shows no payments (extract attached)

His medal award roll shows that the medals were returned (extract attached)

His medal roll index card suggests medals were returned, and in the correspondence section it looks as though advice has been sought about the disposal of his medals. (attached)

No soldiers will on the probate service site, and a search of the London Gazette had no joy on notices on deceased estates.

So my question of those who understand the codes and "grammar" of these documents: Is there anything on these documents to suggest that there was a payout of remaining pay etc and medals were delivered to someone?  My assumption is that outstanding pay and medals weren't released, but I'd like to be sure

Thanks in anticipation

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Percy died and the family were untraceable?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 24 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Is Percy the son of Arthur Edward Gibbs and Catherine Caffery, who were married in 1893 Croydon?
1901 Census has the family living in Norwood area.
At a quick glance, I didn't see them in 1911.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 24 23:43 GMT (UK) »
The rmedal card makes reference to 1743 KR. 

Para 1743 of the Kings Regulations 1912 says "medals which, at the end of 10 years, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the India Office (if granted for India service) or to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch), Woolwich (if granted for other service) to be broken up".

So the medals were never claimed. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 24 09:43 GMT (UK) »
1911 14 Railway Place, Sunbury Middlesex they are boarders with Robert Goddard and family

Kate Gibs 40 mar laundress  born ? Surrey  ( mar 17yrs 5 children 4 living 1 deceased)
Arthur Gibs 16 lab on farm    Born Penge Surrey
Percy Gibs 13   scholar              born Croydon Surrey

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 24 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Is Percy the son of Arthur Edward Gibbs and Catherine Caffery, who were married in 1893 Croydon?
1901 Census has the family living in Norwood area.
At a quick glance, I didn't see them in 1911.
Jackie

Yes I assume Percy is the son of Arthur and Catherine

1911 14 Railway Place, Sunbury Middlesex they are boarders with Robert Goddard and family

Kate Gibs 40 mar laundress  born ? Surrey  ( mar 17yrs 5 children 4 living 1 deceased)
Arthur Gibs 16 lab on farm    Born Penge Surrey
Percy Gibs 13   scholar              born Croydon Surrey

Yes, that's Catherine with sons Arthur jnr and Percy.  She appears to have died 1916 in Ashford, Middlesex (about 2 miles from her 1911 address), with Percy Gibbs informant.  As Arthur junior attested with the Artillery in 1913, I suspect there was no-one at the Ashford address who knew where other members of the family after Percy died on the western front - thus the medals were returned

Arthur Gibbs in 1911 was at Church Army House in Stockwell, South London.  He reappears in Sydenham in 1919, marrying, as a widower,  Elizabeth Rose Ansett, at Lewisham Register Office, living in the same road as Arthur junior in 1921

The rmedal card makes reference to 1743 KR. 

Para 1743 of the Kings Regulations 1912 says "medals which, at the end of 10 years, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the India Office (if granted for India service) or to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch), Woolwich (if granted for other service) to be broken up".

So the medals were never claimed. 

That's very helpful , Jomot, thank you very much

I'll mark this thread closed in a few days, if there's no more responses

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble