Author Topic: Two Free Online Genealogy Courses - futurelearn.com  (Read 837 times)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two Free Online Genealogy Courses - futurelearn.com
« on: Saturday 27 January 24 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am currently working through 2 free genealogy courses provided by futurelearn.com and the University of Strathclyde.

The 2 courses are in one week blocks and go for 6 weeks.  There are short videos to watch and articles to read.  There are also several quizzes that are completed in various sections. The 2 courses are Genetic Genealogy: Researching your family tree using DNA  and  Genealogy: Research your family tree.

There is basic information which would help someone who is just starting out in their family history.  I have been undertaking family history, constructing family trees and also looking into DNA, for a number of years and have found the course to be rewarding.  Thus far I have completed Week 1 and Week 2 has just been made available (27 January)

Regards Kaybron

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Two Free Online Genealogy Courses - futurelearn.com
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 24 06:06 GMT (UK) »
There was much discussion about this course when it first ran in 2016. Wonder if they have updated it at all?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=737139.0

(and subsequent threads as we went week by week)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 24 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I've just started the DNA  one, having done the other one a few years ago when it was mentioned on RC. Even week 1 had a lot of information to  absorb, hope I have enough brain cells to make it through to the end
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 24 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I recently completed the DNA course and found the whole thing very informative. It covers the different types of test and does not shy away from discussing ethical issues. It probably helped that I had already done the other course and, having taken an at DNA test, I did start the course with some previous knowledge.

Although I did add to the comments there was not quite the same interaction with fellow students as when I did the other course. This is because there no longer seem to be designated start dates. I also think that Futurelearn are missing a trick regarding the likely demographic for a course such as this. As an oldie I have no need or desire to add to a CV. I did the course for free and accept that I no longer have access to it. I would have gladly paid a more realistic amount for continued access.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 24 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I have just tried to go back to the DNA course to see if week 2 is available and find that I no longer have access. I started it on 13 Dec 2023 and did week 1 over a few days. On 22 Dec, I got an email saying that there was maintenance on a couple of steps of week 2 and it was expected to be available again in the new year. I was expecting to get another email when the issues were fixed, but I haven't. Now my access has expired, despite them saying that I should have access for the full duration of the course. I know that it is a 7 week course and I started just over 7 weeks ago, but hardly my fault week 2 was not available when I wanted it.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 24 10:10 GMT (UK) »
That's a shame. Lizzie. I started on 1 Dec 2023 and was able to work through the course until early January. I do recall seeing a banner at the top of the screen re maintenance. Might it be worth contacting their support team to explain what has happened as their messaging has clearly been at fault?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 24 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I've sent an email, but it probably won't get read until Monday

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I have just picked up on the Strathclyde University Genetic Genealogy MOOC having done the general MOOC some years ago so thanks Kaybron for your OP. I have no idea how I missed it as I did register for it some time ago before it started.
Having completed wk 1 - it was obviously running some time ago, perhaps December/January according to coments here - wk 2 is now not available until 13th February unless I purchase the course at £99. I have done a lot of MOOCs and have never encountered this before. I am guessing Future Learn are trying to monitise what was perviously FOC? They always offered a purchase option to retain access for one year but the MOOCs always ran without interuption.
I never understood the purchase option as all the videos can be downloaded which implies that the universities are happy for you to retain course material for personal use permanently. The articles can be retained by using screen capture software that can capture vertical scrolling screens so I don't see why anyone would purchase the MOOC unless they want the associated certificate.
It will be interesting to see when wk3 is made available .

Offline BrianClaydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Unfortunately it seems this offer is now over as the website is showing the 2 genealogy courses at a cost of €209.99 each. Maybe next time...

Kind Regards,

Brian