Author Topic: Two Free Online Genealogy Courses - futurelearn.com  (Read 838 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two Free Online Genealogy Courses - futurelearn.com
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it seems this offer is now over as the website is showing the 2 genealogy courses at a cost of €209.99 each. Maybe next time...

I just got my wife to register and she got access to wk1 of the genetic genealogy course FOC so I think it is still possible to register.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I just tried, ignored the subscription.

Just completed Week 1.

Graham Holton the course lead is the same person who wrote what some of us consider the DNA Bible.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 February 24 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Agreed Biggles. A great book. I hope the scientific content in week 1 does not put people off. I don't think you need that level of understanding to work a match list. Looking forward to week 2.

Offline BrianClaydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 24 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I just tried, ignored the subscription.

Just completed Week 1.

Graham Holton the course lead is the same person who wrote what some of us consider the DNA Bible.

My mistake! Apologies. It appears this offer IS still live!

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 February 24 22:48 GMT (UK) »
The articles can be retained by using screen capture software that can capture vertical scrolling screens

Are you able to say what such software is called please because that is something I've long wanted to do

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 February 24 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Are you able to say what such software is called please because that is something I've long wanted to do

I use Firefox as my browser and it is built into that. Default install hides it away under settings but you can move it to the toolbar. Being part of the browser makes it more reliable but it still fails if the scrolling window is very long - entire match list for example - but good for shared match lists etc. Also fails if the window sits in front of the main window - Ancestry display images in that way which is a nuisance.

If you prefer stand alone programs there are lots of free/donation programs available. I use PicPic on occasion but the new version now installs a "nagging" app at same time as the main program install. Just uninstall the "nagging" app after you install PicPic. Very modern intuitive interface.
Screen Captor is another stand alone program and it will work with screen on screen such as Ancestry but it takes a lot of trial/error to achieve it. I use it very rarely.

PM me if you want more details on Firefox screen capture tool. As you say capturing a vertical scrolling window is so useful and not just in genealogy.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 February 24 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I use the GoFullPage browser extension in Chrome, which saves full pages as PNG or JPG images and PDF files in the free version. There are other options including editing the resulting files in the premium version.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire