Author Topic: Charnock family coat of arms  (Read 366 times)

Offline probatumfuit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charnock family coat of arms
« on: Saturday 27 January 24 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I know that the Charnock family of Lancashire had a coat of arms called "argent on a bend sable three crosslets of the field". But does it apply for all Charnocks in the world? I have one Richard Charnock of London, yeoman d. 1665. Does it apply for him as well? I have nothing to connect Richard to the Lancashire branch though. Yeomen were not armigerous as far as I know.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Charnock family coat of arms
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I know that the Charnock family of Lancashire had a coat of arms called "argent on a bend sable three crosslets of the field". But does it apply for all Charnocks in the world? I have one Richard Charnock of London, yeoman d. 1665. Does it apply for him as well? I have nothing to connect Richard to the Lancashire branch though. Yeomen were not armigerous as far as I know.

"But does it apply for all Charnocks in the world?" - Yes and no. To all the firstborn sons, certainly; failing sons to all the daughters, equally. Failing both, then up the tree to the last collateral branch that had sons. Failing sons to all daughters equally. 

I attach an extract from The General Armory. It would indicate that there was a cadet branch in Bedfordshire with a slight difference to the arms. Richard could be descended from those. 

A yeoman was a freeman, so nothing stopping him owning land, prospering in business, nor having a grant of arms. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline probatumfuit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 13:07 GMT (UK) »
   So far there is nothing to show that Richard is connected to the Beds branch. Richard did own the Bell Inne in studham, markyate street in Bedfordshire but that is all.

However, in his will, he leaves this inn to the parsons and churchwardens of Pennerton (Penwortham) and asks them to send evry year two poor boys from Hutton or any other village in the same parish to be apprenticed in London.

There is nothing else known. Any thoughts?

In respect to the attachment, I see that "Charnock" has been differentiated from "Charnocke".

Richard however uses "Charnocke" in his will (1663) although his two sons use Charnock in 1680 and 1693 respectively.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 13:26 GMT (UK) »
One thing that should always be remembered - "Spelling is an adventure, not a science." 

The fact that Richard lived in Bedfordshire should not be ignored. He could be a cadet branch of a cadet branch, which suddenly finds itself the main line due to the others having daughters and no sons. He obviously had some wealth. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline probatumfuit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 13:45 GMT (UK) »
    In fact, by his own admission, Richard lived in the parish of St Mary's Woolchurch, London and wished to be buried in St Katherine Creechurch, London (I don't know whether this wish was actually fulfilled).

His only link with Bedfordshire seems to be (so far) the inn at Bedfordshire which he had purchased in 1661. He (presumably) came all the way from London to make this purchase and even in the deed of sale he is called "Richard Charnock of London, gentleman".

Two years later, he leased the bell inn to a cordwainer resident in Beds and stipulated that the annual sum has to be paid at his brother's house in Cornhill, London.

There is a branch of Charnocks in Bedfordshire (in turn an offshoot from the main Lancashire branch) and there too was a Richard. But this Richard died an Esquire in 1615. My Richard lived upto 1665. So no chance of two being the same. Unless I have some evidence to the contrary.

Agree re the spelling point. Had read somewhere that English spelling was not standardised until the Eighteenth century.