Author Topic: Richard Charnock of London  (Read 131 times)

Offline probatumfuit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Charnock of London
« on: Saturday 27 January 24 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Are all Charnocks in England related somehow to the Lancashire Charnocks? ::) I have one Richard Charnock of London, yeoman, died c. 1665. Is there any chance that he is related to the Lancashire branch? He is known to have owned "The Bell Inne" in Bedfordshire although I couldn't find anything to connect him to the Bedfordshire Charnock family (in turn an offshoot of the Lancashire branch). I want to find out more about the London branch of Charnocks of which Richard is the earliest known member to me. I couldn't find anything online to support my impression that there was ever a London branch of the Lancashire family. All articles point to the main branch of Astley Hall in Charnock Richard and the Bedfordshire branch. Nothing about London.
    Richard might have been somehow connected to Penwortham and Hutton in Lancashire because in his will, he leaves the Bell inne to the parsons and churchwardens of the former place in trust that they will send two poor boys (born in Hutton or any other village of that parish) every year to be apprenticed in London.
    Nothing else about Richard's early life or family is known. The earliest document is his will dated 1663, proved 1665. He had two sons, Stephen and Job. Stephen was a Puritan Divine while Job served the East India Company in India.