Author Topic: Problem finding a 2x great aunt  (Read 691 times)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Problem finding a 2x great aunt
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 January 24 17:32 GMT (UK) »
A Richard and Rose H Wyatt are in the 1921 census in Bedminster with two adult sons.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 January 24 17:38 GMT (UK) »
death registered: Q1 1939 Bristol, Rosina H Wyatt, age 72

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 January 24 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

Sorry for the delay in getting back, thank you so much for all the new information for me to follow up on!  Fresh eyes looking at this has certainly helped.

I will look in to them all and let you know how I get on.  Because of the married daughter Elizabeth Perrin, I found on the 1895 death of Elizabeth Thompson, it's confusing everything!

Albert Hardwell is definitely my ancestor and he married an Elizabeth Thompson.  As haliared pointed out, their marriage recorded showed Elizabeth's father as a boot finisher, I was beginning to think Rosina's family were different Thompsons but that can't be true as her birth record shows her mother's maiden name was Hansford the same as Elizabeth.

I will look into it all and hopefully be able to start to unravel it.  But if anyone finds anything else it would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 January 24 18:23 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to the 1939 register you can find the three Wyatt sons – one married with two children – all at the same address in Bedminster Road.

I found them by searching for Frederick T Wyatt 1888.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 January 24 18:41 GMT (UK) »
1881 census at 21 Penn Street as per Rosina Harriett's marriage

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27X-XQ58

Likely death reg
Edwin Thompson 43 dec qtr 1872 Bristol vol 6a pg 20

His death may have prompted the R.C. baptisms in Dec 1872, at St Nicholas of Tolentino, Lawford's Gate
Isabelle https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z7-RT67 dob given as 22 Dec 1871
Edwin https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z7-RTQQ dob 28 Aug 1869
dob for Rosina Harriett 14 Dec 1864 and that of Elizabeth 23 April 1867
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 January 24 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the further details, yes I have access to the 1939 register so will look into that too.

It does make me wonder if there were 2 lots of Thompson families with similar names for their children etc in the same area and I may have to investigate the alternative one.

Really helpful, thank you so much. - I want to solve this to make sure I have the correct family in my tree!

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Problem finding a 2x great aunt update
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 January 24 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Here is an update after spending some time looking at all the fantastic information you found for me.  I believe that looking for my elusive aunt Rosina, I've discovered that her sister, my great grandmother Elizabeth, is different to the one I had in my tree.  So I have amendments to do!

I looked backwards at the info I have on her that I know are correct, i.e. her 1929 death certificate given to me by her grandaughter and then the 1921 census where she stated being born in St Pauls, Bristol.  This, along with her birth year, was entered on most censuses which has led me to believe the Thompson family she came from is the one osprey found!

The Catholic baptisms of the 4 children, Rosina Harriet b1865, Elizabeth b1867, Edwin b1869 & Isabella b1872, also tied in with the details.  Their father Edwin died 1872 which, as you pointed out, probably led their mother Elizabeth Barry to get them all baptised.  (I've just found her own Catholic baptism in Bristol on 11th November 1835, she was born on the 6th September.  Her mother's name was Harriet which is the second name of Rosina.)

I've not been able to find Edwin and Elizabeth's marriage, maybe they were not able to marry at the time because he wasn't a Catholic?

I found Edwin in the 1851 census as a lodger working as a shoemaker, which again ties in with the info you found.  I couldn't find him in the 1861 census then they were together as a family in 1871 where he was a shoemaker again.  He died in 1872 just after the birth of Isabella.

In 1881 his widow Elizabeth was working as a charwoman, but I've not yet been able to find her prior to the 1871 census or after 1881.

I will now need to look into Rosina's marriage to Henry Wyatt and their descendants when I'm sure I've not made any errors!

Other than 'Edwin' being shown as 'Edward' in my great grandparents, Albert Hardwell & Elizabeth Thompson' marriage record, everything seems to match, unless anyone can see anything I've missed!

Thank you again for all your help it's much appreciated - but please let me know if I've got any of it wrong!

Kind regards

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 January 24 17:11 GMT (UK) »
likely marriage reg
Edwin Thomson june qtr 1863 Clifton vol 6a pg 276 with Elizabeth Berry on the same page

I found an army record for Edwin which gave his age as 22 when he attested in 1855, a shoemaker born in St Paul's. He served 4 years 232 days, of which 1 year 7 months was in 'Australian colonies'.

The age on enlistment may point to this 1841 census in St Paul's
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7M4-X2V
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 January 24 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant thank you, that must be their marriage.

Great find with his military record, explains why I couldn't find him in the 1861 census.  Thank you for detailing length of service etc, I'm struggling to decipher some of the wording!

I'd just found the 1841 census and was wondering if that was Edwin so thank you for that too :)