Author Topic: UnIdentIfIed close DNA match  (Read 654 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
UnIdentIfIed close DNA match
« on: Sunday 28 January 24 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Long time since I have posted here!

My 2 paternal cousins and I have found an unexpected ½ sibling/cousin, X, whose father is unknown as he was adopted. His son Y, an unexpected nephew or 1st cousin once removed has had DNA testing.

X is not my cousin, appears to be ½ sibling of one of my 2 cousins, from DNA matching to Y.

What is the likelihood of me and Y sharing 26 cMs/28cMs respectively with a match, but my cousins sharing none?

I'm trying to get my head around this, there would be no other apparent parentage for X.
Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UnIdentIfIed close DNA match
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 24 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Are your two Paternal Cousins siblings of each other?

Who is the test Company?

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 24 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I tested with Ancestry.

Should have made it clear, my paternal grandparents had 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl.

My cousins and I are descended from the 3 sons, one each.

For context, I share 327 cMs/14 segments with Y, cousins A and B share 452/20 and 593/23.

None of these are definitive for ½ nephew.

A's father was stationed in Japan and engaged to be married, B's father would have been c.14 years old!
Nothing seems to stack up.

Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 24 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm far from being an expert in any way, I just wanted to clarify as your post is intriguing:

You say "X is not my Cousin" - wondering, what does this mean?

and "What is the likelihood of me and Y sharing 26 cMs/28cMs respectively with a match, but my cousins sharing none/"   Does this mean yourself and Y (the son of X) have a Shared Match with a person - one of you at 26cM, the other at 28cM - but A and B don't report any Shared Match with that  same person?

Do A and B  have any Shared Matches at all with Y? What (other) Shared matches do you have with Y, if any? 

If Y is collaborating with yourself, A & B to try unravel - does Y have any other close Matches which are not identified as to where they fit?

Also, when was this - ie: in relation to who?
"A's father was stationed in Japan and engaged to be married"
"B's father would have been c.14 years old"

Last thought:  if X were to be a half-sibling - where does X fit in the birth order of the 4 children of your Paternal grandparents?

Sorry lots of questions - and apologies if I've missed the obvious!
 :)
Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 January 24 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I tested with Ancestry.

Should have made it clear, my paternal grandparents had 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl.

My cousins and I are descended from the 3 sons, one each.

For context, I share 327 cMs/14 segments with Y, cousins A and B share 452/20 and 593/23.

None of these are definitive for ½ nephew.

A's father was stationed in Japan and engaged to be married, B's father would have been c.14 years old!
Nothing seems to stack up.

Margaret

OK, based just on this one post of yours and not the starter post and with a few ifs and buts in my initial response.

Not knowing actual ages screws things up a bit and I am making assumpptions that may or may not be valid!

The high cM that A & B & You each share with Y does indicate that Y’s Father could be a full Cousin as X’s cM to each of you could be in the 800-1000 region.

Your Aunt may have had a child that was then adopted.

Now going back to your starter post and the 26/28 query, yes it is very possible that you can share this much DNA and your Cousins none.  DNA is not inherited uniformly, it is by a random process called Recombination and as such different DNA Segments of Grandparent DNA are inherited by each Grandchild.  Hence where there is a pair of shared matches with Y ie the 26 & 28 then segments you share with each of them can by the Recombination process not have been shared with A and B.  Hope this makes sense to you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 January 24 11:15 GMT (UK) »

I was a regular here a few years ago, but my brain isn't working as well as it should do, so I stopped coming - if I couldn't sort myself out, how could I help others work their problems through.

My first post was incorrect, as flagged by both of you.

X is cousin to 2 of the 3 of us, ½ sibling to the third. I am one of the cousins.

Ambly -
"What is the likelihood of me and Y sharing 26 cMs/28cMs respectively with a match, but my cousins sharing none/"   Does this mean yourself and Y (the son of X) have a Shared Match with a person - one of you at 26cM, the other at 28cM - but A and B don't report any Shared Match with that  same person?"

That is correct.

"Do A and B  have any Shared Matches at all with Y? What (other) Shared matches do you have with Y, if any? "

All 4 of us share many, many matches to my paternal grandparents.

"Also, when was this - ie: in relation to who?
"A's father was stationed in Japan and engaged to be married"
"B's father would have been c.14 years old"

End of the 2nd world war. Conception of this baby would have been summer 1945, when A's father was not in this country, and B's father would have been c 14.
B's father may have been evacuated, so not under the watchful eyes of parents! But the mother was an older teenager.

As for ages in -   26 M, 25 M, 19 F, 13 M.

Biggles -
"Your Aunt may have had a child that was then adopted."

X met up with his mother in later life, DNA matches with her side of the family now, so not an option. She was unwilling to give him any information about his father.

I can't follow your last paragraph, I'm  afraid, my brain can't take it in.
But working it through in my brain now, the putative father, my uncle, passed one lot of DNA to one cousin eg A, a different lot of DNA to X. Which is common enough.

My other uncle may or may not have inherited that bit of DNA from grandparents, didn't pass it down to cousin eg B.

My father inherited it and passed it down to me.

Thank you both for your insight.

Margaret

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 January 24 22:07 GMT (UK) »
This may help with DNA inheritance.

It shows how DNA can be passed down differently to siblings, works the same way for full Cousins all be it only from one Grandparent pair.