Author Topic: Irish ancestors burial place co roscommon , co galwey  (Read 1256 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish ancestors burial place co roscommon , co galwey
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 10:02 GMT (UK) »
If OP does move this thread, then I can add some more interesting info. Wasted here.
Assuming that OP actually is a descendant of Malachy and Bridget that is. Given what  I pointed out, there is only a ⅔ chance of that, as only 4 of the 6 children listed actually were theirs....

I appreciate it would be better if the thread was on the Roscommon board but why would your information be ‘wasted’ if it was pertinent to the request?
I pointed out earlier that I couldn’t see Catherine and Michael in the indexes.
However there is this baptism:
Kiltomb  parish (adjacent to Killinvoy)
Michael Fallon
12th September 1844
Parents: Malachy Fallon and Biddy Mullahan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Related information or just puzzles?

Several published trees show Catherine Fallon as daughter of Malachy and Bridget Mulligan. They have her birth as 1841 in the main rather than 1831. They also show this marriage to John Geraghty.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11372/8175678.pdf

The church is Killinvoy, and her residence as Ballyglass. Her father is Laughlin and a witness, Catherine Fallon.
There is a baptism in Killinvoy - 23rd January 1847 - transcribed as Catherine but (to me) looks like ‘Patricium’ Fallon with parents Laughlin and Cath Ward.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633974#page/40/mode/1up

Griffiths Valuation shows Loughlin Fallon, in Ballyglass.

There is this death. Loughlin Fallon, 9th July 1883, of Ballyglass. The informant, I think, ‘My Fallon’, son.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06352/4822323.pdf

I wonder if anyone has a views on this?

As Wexflyer points out, there is more than one Ballyglass and more than one Malachy Fallon.

SHRYL, which child are you descended from and where do you have them?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 18:14 GMT (UK) »
If OP does move this thread, then I can add some more interesting info. Wasted here.
Assuming that OP actually is a descendant of Malachy and Bridget that is. Given what  I pointed out, there is only a ⅔ chance of that, as only 4 of the 6 children listed actually were theirs....

I appreciate it would be better if the thread was on the Roscommon board but why would your information be ‘wasted’ if it was pertinent to the request?

It should be in the Roscommon area for the benefit of those interested in this or related Fallon families. Unlikely they will find or notice this thread in this area.

As for why wasted - I believe we need to hear back from OP to resolve some issues. As you have also started to notice (from your further posts), there are questions about the accuracy of the starting point here.  Without further input, a lot of this may simply be wasted effort.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I agree with your second point but I find that many /most people arrive by searching with name/area but not necessarily on the relevant board.
It can easily be moved and then you will be able to post your information to help us all.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I am not going to comment (directly) on the Fallon family again until/unless OP returns.

However, I do want to point out that there is an unusual issue with the location of Ballyglass.
Assuming for the moment that this is the Ballyglass townland in the civil parish of Killinvoy, then I find the following:

In the 1827 tythe valuation of Killinvoy, Ballyglass is listed as 167 Irish acres, equivalent to roughly 271 English acres.

But in Griffiths Valuation of 1857, Ballyglass, parish of Killinvoy is only 77 English acres!

And in Townlands.ie there is no listing for a townland of Ballyglass, civil parish of Killinvoy at all!

Turning to the original OS maps, I see the following
Ballyglass, Killinvoy CP, 77-1-15 acres, directly to the north of
Ballyglass, Rahara CP, 300-0-24 acres.

Looking at Griffith's Valuation for Ballyglass, Rahara, I see Malachi Fallon sharing 70 acres equally with John and Michael Mulligan.  BUT - none of them have a house, so none of them are living there!

Then, looking back again at the tythe valuations, this time for Rahara, Ballyglass is again listed - exactly the same page as for Killinvoy.

In townlands.ie it turns out that Ballyglass is listed as a single townland of 376-1-15 acres, under Rahara, comprising what was two townlands in Griffiths. The townland is located here:
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/athlone/rahara/scregg/ballyglass/

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 21:43 GMT (UK) »
You can stay in Ballyglass, in a commercial B&B, owned by the same Fallon family as in 1850, see
https://www.ballyglassthatchedcottage.com/

So, easy way to find out where the Fallons are buried - ask them! Contact details in the link.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 February 24 07:11 GMT (UK) »
I have not moved over to the Irish forum yet.  My great grandfather was Patrick Joseph Fallon b1849 - 1932 . He immigrated to Australia in 1880. I have found Malachy 1819-1884 in Griffiths valuation and after reading the Griffith's valuation code explanation (a means a farmers cottage) so I assumed that meant they lived at Ballyglass and farmed with the John and Michael Mulligan ( possible relatives of Bridget Mulligan?)  I believe that Malachy and Bridget were married in the diocese of St Peters Athlone & Drum, Roscommon (4th October 1839) Their children (including Patrick Joseph) were baptised in Parish of Killenvoy in the Parish registers. I appreciate your input and I did go back and check some of the documentation I have gathered to be sure of parentage and noted some of the sponsors at the baptisms related to my ancestors. Thank you again for your help , I appreciate any information to help me. More so as I intend to travel there this year and yes iI have emailed the Ballyglass thatched cottage Knockcroghery and asked for accommodation. waiting for a reply.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 February 24 07:25 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Malachy and Bridget were married in the diocese of St Peters Athlone & Drum, Roscommon (4th October 1839)

I am afraid not. That marriage is of a Patrick Fallon and a Bridget ??, where Bridget is not Mulligan.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633872#page/312/mode/1up

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 February 24 07:37 GMT (UK) »
I have found Malachy 1819-1884 in Griffiths valuation and after reading the Griffith's valuation code explanation (a means a farmers cottage) so I assumed that meant they lived at Ballyglass and farmed with the John and Michael Mulligan ( possible relatives of Bridget Mulligan?)

The entry 3a in Ballyglass is specifically stated to be a herd's house. Jointly owned by Malachy, John and Michael, to accommodate a herd.
A farmer's own house is never, to my knowlege, called a herd's house. That is a cottage for a herdsman/caretaker, or temporarily for one of the joint owners. But not their permanent abode.